Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

need advise guys

Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys
Old 01-28-2017, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

Just checked my traps and was x suprised to find one missing , it was double and staked and the grounds pretty firm with roots so I didn't expect it . Had a camera on the set , hoping my dogs can track whatever dragging my trap with it .any thoughts besides making my stakes longer , I'm thinking chain to a tree from now on , be safe
Old 01-28-2017, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

The shorter the chain the less chance there is the animal will pull the stake because it cannot make a long lunge which makes it easier to pill the stake. If you are having stakes pulled, use a longer stake or a drag instead of a stake if you are setting in an area with lots of brush.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks old timer, I go em at gander mountain but the stakes were buried but still there , somehow it came unhooked , thought I had them set right but obviously did something wrong, what is a drag, like a grappling hook ?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, exactly what they are.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks again, I had a hard time getting the little round hooks in the hole in the plate the stakes go through so I still can't believe it came loose , think I liked it better when I thought it was the ground. I went to the library yesterday to see if I could learn more about the coyote , they only had one book, sad , so sad
Old 01-31-2017, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need to squeeze those S-hooks closed, are you using a swivel? If not the catch can twist the chain up and it it is big and strong enough it can get enough leverage to open the S-hooks enough to get away. http://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/...n_%2B_Hardware

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-31-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you sir , I didn't sueeze them but do have swivels . My camera failed to get a video .I bought a call on my way home yesterday , Im still trying . Found out I suck at calling . Have to practice , gonna try a rabbit call , have a nice spot perfect hill and field bordered by woods. Thanks for your help
Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Every one uses a rabbit call starting out. Coyotes are so used to it they very rarely respond around here to them. In fact if the coyote could talk I bet they have the rabbit call sound cataloged by the maker. If you insist on using a rabbit call get a partner and have the partner use a coyote howler call along with the rabbit to make it sound like a coyote is enjoying the chase and catch of the rabbit in Your coyotes area.

Some calls that still work.
  1. L&M Howler
  2. Burnham Bro. D4 Deer Call
  3. Very High Pitch Howler
  4. Long Valley Predator Call
  5. Haydel Coyote Howler
  6. Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler
  7. E.L.K. Power Howler
  8. Turkey Diaphragm Calls
  9. Squeaker
Get a howler and give it a try. It is easy to talk the coyote with practice.

Al