Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Meet The Coywolf.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Meet The Coywolf.

The coywolf is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...et+the+coywolf
Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

There have been several tests done on Coyotes in PA, we have some real bruisers here. It was established several years ago that many of our coyotes have wolf dna in them.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Much to do about nothing IMHO, as the animals they are researching are very seldom anything other than a pure coyote that is expanding it's territory. Not saying that the coydog doesn't exist here and there, since as Oldtimr stated there is wolf DNA in some they have studied, but IMHO they are not a threat to any extent where the public needs to worry about them like the "Big Bad Wolf"! There are certain areas in the country that have some big coyotes and they may or may not have any wolf DNA. One thing for sure and that is the coyote and wolf are both very smart animals!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-05-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed - it's neat, but not really anything to get too ruffled over. There are far worse pandemics of invasive species affecting our country which simply go ignored except by those folks directly affected locally.

The documentary mentioned in the link aired 3 years ago, so this is kinda old news too.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, they have been around for quite a while.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe I read that some portion of our coyotes sampled here in Vt have wolf DNA. Dogs in the 40 to 50 pound range are common and I have personally seen a big male stretched out on a porch that weighed an even 70 pounds. I think the blood line came from the Canadian gray wolf.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Saw the Nature program on PBS. The producers covered the areas this is taking place.
Nature in its finest as it evolves with mankind.
JW
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

On the public land I have hunted on, coyotes have followed me around, and have yepped at me.
I have seen them about the same time they are running away.
I never thought much about.
I will be looking for them more, and throw some lead at them.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Michigan has had a big influx of coyotes in urban areas, and even the city of Detroit. This has been good for people like my self who enjoy hunting them, we now have a full 12 months to hunt them where up to 2015 we had a closed season.
I think the coyote in some urban areas were really welcomed because they had a HUGE rat problem that the coyotes are taking care of. Most of our kills are 40,45 pounds and once in a whole we will get a bigger 55 pound one.

Al
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have been hunting the same lease for over twenty years. The first ten years never saw a coyote, never heard one and no scat or sign of em. None of my fellow hunters saw any sign either. We heard they were in the western part of the state but that was it. Then we started hearing one or two and seeing scat and sign and eventually one would be seen. Then eventually would kill one or two during the season. Saw lots of deer that entire time. Its at the point now where 22 were killed this year and deer are herding up before the season ever starts and we dont hardly see any deer at all. I commute to work up I95 approx. 60 miles one way and used to spot deer all along the highway. Now I am lucky to see a small family group once a month. We have them on our videos in packs of five to seven. Chasing adult deer with no fawns in sight. I have listened to them make a kill and sound more like Hyenas than wolves. Pretty amazing to hear really. They are definitely here to stay and figure might as well go after them since the deer pop. is so low. They are tough to bring in around here but just have to learn them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.