Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrel trouble.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking squirrel trouble.

About 1976, I packed in a climbing tree stand to an area I had scouted for deer hunting. No sooner had I got up the tree I choose than those dam squirrels started making a ruckus at the base of the tree. I decided I would shoot one and that would put an end to all that racket. I took the shot and hit the one squirrel dead center right behind the head, arrow sticking nearly straight up with nearly half in the ground. Squirrel refused to die or lay still. It started running around and around that arrow but failed to work it's self free or the arrow loose from the ground. Finally deciding I would get no piece I worked my way down the tree, grabbed a short hunk of stout tree limb I went to the squirrel and clubbed it a mighty stroke behind the head. Squirrel instantly layed still, so I took it to a tree close by that had a low V branch I would be able to find in the dark as I left and placed the squirrel there.
Back up the tree I went with my stand and had about 10 minutes of silence. That crazy squirrel was standing in that V yelling bloody murder. Finally I could not handle it any longer I decided I would club that squirrel again and this time take his head off with my buck.
Appeared that the one foot of the squirrel was stuck in that V, but he kept dodging that club for what seemed half the afternoon. Finally I got a good blow in as my brother came walking up asking if I were having a boxing match with a bear of some thing. Said I had made enough noise to scare any deer with in 100 miles away. My answer to him was to hold up the squirrel and ask what he had to show for the afternoons hunt.
Took me a really long time to live down the great squirrel killer badge I had hung on me over that hunt.

Al
Old 05-18-2016, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a giant Elm tree next to my house, the entire house was under that tree. Squirrelzilla lived in that tree, he would run off any other Squirrel or Bird that even came close to his domain.

Every day when I'd come home from work and let the dog out, the Dog and Squirrel would face off. The Squirrel chattering from the porch roof and the Dog barking like crazy, sometimes for an hour or more.

One day that Squirrel got really manic and was hopping around like a Meth head on steroids, forgot where the roof ended and jumped right off the edge. Dog caught him in mid air, the last thing I ever saw of that Squirrel was his tail disappearing down that Dogs throat.

There has to be a moral to the story, darned if I know what it is. I do know I really enjoyed the silence.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Moral is to know where you stand and not let your alligator mouth over load your bushy tail kister.

Al