Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Dog Scare with Coyotes

Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Dog Scare with Coyotes

Hello! I am new on here but I wanted to share a story with you guys and gals.

About a year ago, during the fall and winter of 2014, we had a scare with my girlfriends dog...twice.

We live in Dakota County, MN and we have been getting coyotes more frequent. During the fall or winter (believe winter,) we were upstairs and my girlfriend hears this yelp (I didn't... ) she hurries downstairs to find her female dog (she has two...one male and one female...both Cairn Terriers) by the patio door.
She noticed something wasn't quite right with her and when she looked her over, she noticed a puncture wound from their tooth. Somehow her dog managed to escape, we are unsure if she somehow wiggled free or if her male dog got the coyote to drop the female...luckily crisis averted. Then it happened again a second time..the details on this one are fuzzy (no long story.)

Now she has some woods in the back yard and pine trees blocking the neighbor which weren't trimmed...until I trimmed them about maybe 2 feet up, which has kept them at bay...kinda but now they are going into her yard (they found a dead rabbit by the patio door...half eaten)

After these incidents, my girlfriends parents and her kept seeing the coyotes in the morning (around 7-9 AM CST) but I never saw them...ever, until one day when I was at her house after work around 3:30 PM CST.

I let the dogs outside for a potty break (yes, I said potty) and after a few minutes, I saw her male dog freak out (barking/pacing) so I watched him from the inside and I couldn't figure out why until I looked at her hill and saw the coyote, so I ran outside with the fireplace poker and scared it away. So I initially went back the house and watched from the inside in their sun room with the poker and I saw her dog pace again. I went outside and he kept barking and pointing to a certain direction behind the pines, so I stepped in front of the pines and I saw the coyote...then he ran away then he came back until I chased him away with the fire poker!

For the state of MN, our regulation is that the coyote is an "unprotected" animal and can be hunted (per the regulation guidelines) but we cannot discharge a weapon in city limits (local police rules...) (unless its done with the"blind eye" with a compound bow or crossbow...others use a "homemade" suppressor for their .22)

Sorry for the long post...I just wanted to see if anyone had/has the same problem and was wondering if we should be worried about the coyote population this year.

Last edited by MNHunter2112; 10-13-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes you should be worried. Coyotes have a big area they will normally range in but seem to stay in spots with plenty of food like little ankle bitter dogs.
I suggest you learn how to snare the coyotes or find a trapper in the area to set snares to catch them.
I do see the reason for the law against fire arm discharge in urban areas because there are some really crazy people in this world.

Al
Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Snares in the city can be a problem, Cats, stray or wandering Dogs. You can likely get a live trap for around $100. http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/cage-traps.html

The regs for MN read no license necessary for Yotes. You can use a light after Jan 1st. They repeated twice don't try anything with a vehicle, they sounded real serious about it.

Just an idea, ask the Cemetery caretaker what he does. Keeping the critters out of the Cemetery is pretty serious business. They are likely to have some experience and maybe some ideas. You may even be able to borrow a trap.

Killing something in a live trap can be problematic. Sounds simple but I've had issues with it. They get frantic in a trap and have a habit of moving just as you pull the trigger, then they are wounded and go even more frantic.

Nitrogen gas is about the most humane way I've found. A tarp and an exhaust pipe would likely work just as well. I have access to free nitrogen bottles, but they are a bit pricey if you have to buy or rent one.

I use old Chicken Bones from a Colonel Sanders dumpster for bait. I've never found anything that works better.

They say hanging a Dead Coyote discourages it's pack from coming around. I'd do it where it is unlikely to be seen, up a tree.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses. I heard maybe wolf urine or another predator would scare them away?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard the same about Wolf urine, never tried it myself. A little of your urine would likely work better. Most Yotes fear man.

The real problem with Yotes is certain times of the year they are pack hunters. There is always one Yote who is a little more brazen, fears man less and the rest kind of join in.

The dry years in the South west they'd get hungry from lack of available game, pack together (usually in the Fall) and stage raids into suburban areas. I mean a whole pack running up and down the streets snatching up any Cat or small dog they came across. Once they figured out they could get away with it they'd make it a habit. I always wondered what would happen if they came across a lone small child?

My solution was a pack of dogs.

Sending a single dog after a Yote can backfire if the Yote has friends.

I've heard a single Yote will lure a single dog out to be attacked by a pack. Don't really know if it is fact or fiction.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my experience using another animals urine is a waste of time and money. If I were you I would talk to the other neighbors, odds are they don't want the coyotes around their property either. You need to check your laws again, most states have exception when protecting lives and property, the dogs are property. I know what I would do.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just an idea, if you are a competent shooter, price personal shooting/hunting liability insurance. Talk to the the top Cop and offer to shoot the brazen Yotes, state your reasons. Tell him you will buy liability insurance if he gives the OK. Show him a copy of your insurance, get a written permission. The first time it will likely be for a specific time period, maybe a month. Build a little trust and it will likely be extended.

One shot one kill, don't be blasting around. Make sure you have a dead shot, with no chance of a pass through or a miss causing any grief. A folding chair on the roof is a good spot to set up. After Jan.1 in your area you can legally use a light.

NRA has insurance for around $200 a year. I get mine for around $180 a year, it covers up to around $ 1.3 million. It also covers liability for my dogs and firearm theft etc.

I've shoot Fox in the graveyard within fifty yards of multi million dollar houses, nobody cared, I use a .222. Nobody wants some industrious Fox digging up Grandma, they were happy to let me do the deed as long as I was acting responsibly.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-15-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Just an idea, if you are a competent shooter, price personal shooting/hunting liability insurance. Talk to the the top Cop and offer to shoot the brazen Yotes, state your reasons. Tell him you will buy liability insurance if he gives the OK. Show him a copy of your insurance, get a written permission. The first time it will likely be for a specific time period, maybe a month. Build a little trust and it will likely be extended.

One shot one kill, don't be blasting around. Make sure you have a dead shot, with no chance of a pass through or a miss causing any grief. A folding chair on the roof is a good spot to set up. After Jan.1 in your area you can legally use a light.

NRA has insurance for around $200 a year. I get mine for around $180 a year, it covers up to around $ 1.3 million. It also covers liability for my dogs and firearm theft etc.

I've shoot Fox in the graveyard within fifty yards of multi million dollar houses, nobody cared, I use a .222. Nobody wants some industrious Fox digging up Grandma, they were happy to let me do the deed as long as I was acting responsibly.

I'll have to check that out and let you know how it goes
Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know about using wolf urine to deter coyotes, but I know first hand that using coyote urine around my garden has kept the deer and coon out of my sweet corn. And the deer have a trail going right by the garden. You have to put more down after a good rain, but it has been very effective for me.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are a "good" shot and you are willing to buy a pellet gun ?

Within 25 - 30 yards, if you can put one right behind their ear = dead yote + no noise.

That's what I would do anyway !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.