Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Gutting a rabbit quickly

Old 07-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gutting a rabbit quickly

Anyone do this? I have never seen it before:

Old 07-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never done it and I never will. I have seen it done and I can gut a rabbit with a knife just as fast and not squeeze or burst the guts inside the rabbit. When I gut a rabbit, everything comes our without being smashed into the inside of the rabbit. And for the record, I have gutted hundreds of rabbits and I am not afraid to get a little blood on my hands, I am a hunter.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have never done it and I never will. I have seen it done and I can gut a rabbit with a knife just as fast and not squeeze or burst the guts inside the rabbit. When I gut a rabbit, everything comes our without being smashed into the inside of the rabbit. And for the record, I have gutted hundreds of rabbits and I am not afraid to get a little blood on my hands, I am a hunter.
+1 and I can guarantee you that not everything is removed doing it that way and what has burst inside the rabbit has then contaminated the meat, especially if it's quite a length of time until you get home to finish the job. Why not take a few more seconds and make one quick slit with a pocket knife and not risk bursting anything in the process?
Old 07-04-2015, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Hunted with a guy once who was my guest who did that. Told him that was nasty and never went hunting with him again.

Al
Old 07-08-2015, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Never seen that done before. Interesting. I won't do it though. As others have said, run the knife up and pull it all out cleanly. Takes 10 seconds, and I know it's out clean. Still an interesting video though.
-Jake
Old 08-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Spike

Thats common when running beagles, and you may have 6-8 rabbits in your vest, lightens the load...
Old 08-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

It may be common but I can gut a rabbit with a knife just as fast and I am not taking a chance on bursting anything inside the gut and contaminating the meat. Open them up from the sternum to the pelvis, hold the ears with one hand and a hind leg with the other and swing the rabbit hard towards the back side and stop quickly, what doesn't come out will be hanging there and you just grab it and pull. Most of the time I crack the pelvis and remove the colon. No muss no fuss and no squeezing. I just find the whole squeezing thing repugnant. I always have a rag in my coat or vest to wipe my hands. Next we will see a video of someone running over a deer with his truck to force the guts out the backside.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-23-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dogknott
Thats common when running beagles, and you may have 6-8 rabbits in your vest, lightens the load...
Go ahead and lighten the load, but do it like Oldtimr is saying because that other method is gross and will definitely contaminate the meat.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually that's the way it's done when preparing rabbits for the market. It's the only way to guarantee the meat isn't contaminated with feces, and urine. The British and Irish hunters who may clean 30 or more rabbits a night do it this way.

They know a thing or two about cleaning rabbits.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Wish I could find rabbits like that!
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.