Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting Set Up

Old 06-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Spike

Default Coyote Hunting Set Up

Hey y'all! I've been seeing some coyotes behind and near the house and want to get them out. I am hunting in a wooded area and do have two calls and know how to use them. I'm gonna be using the good ol' 870 with a full choke and some #5 shot. None of my shots will be longer than 35 yards. Should I use a decoy? Any tips for summer hunting?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

A decoy helps and a yote will normally come around and try to get the wind on you, so plan your set accordingly. I would also use bigger shot than #5s on a yote for a clean, humane kill unless he's in your lap.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
A decoy helps and a yote will normally come around and try to get the wind on you, so plan your set accordingly. I would also use bigger shot than #5s on a yote for a clean, humane kill unless he's in your lap.

What TopGun said ^^^

+

Get camoed-up (head to toe), bury yourself in some cover (with a good view of down wind), remain still (bring a cushion or a low slung chair), Shooting sticks help - shoot'em when you have the opportunity !!!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get the best results using 2 shot in a semi magnum. I really don't know why or how or if it is just me, but I get better results with 2 shot than 00 buckshot. I've had more than one run off with buckshot in them, most times using 2 shot they drop in a pile. Maybe it is just me or maybe buckshot just patterns wrong in my shotgun, but I've lost confidence in 00 busk shot for Yotes or Fox.

I've been wanting to try some 4 buckshot. I have tried BB and it worked OK.

Something I've tried that worked out for me was setting up on a farm road in a ground blind. They tend to (sometimes) avoid some areas in the early morning when everything is dew covered. And will use a farm road to avoid getting soaking wet.

I just set up an ambush in an unlikely spot and hope I get lucky. Seems to work better when they have pups to feed and are hunting steady in the early morning, false dawn. I've set up on the verge of a farm road, next to a bush and had had them walk right up to me, 15 foot shot. Kind of surprised me also that it actually worked, but after I figured out it worked once, I've used it again and again.

My blind was nothing special, just enough to break up my outline, I avoided moving around much. I think I was just in a spot they didn't expect. They were coming from a den and headed towards where they expected to find food and I set up about halfway between the den and a food source. I scout the farm road after a rain and look for multiple tracks.