Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Buget minded hunters call.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Buget minded hunters call.

http://www.icotec.com/products/elect...ble-game-call/

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ICOtec-24-...ype=10&veh=aff

A friend just bought one of these. Said takes some computer knowledge to load calls. Likes the MP3 player files can be used for extra and other sounds.

Al
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since your buddy just bought it, could you do us a favor and report back how it's performing at the end of fur season? Or next year thereafter?

I bought an Icotech GC300 - what I'd assume to the precursor to the GC350 that you linked - back in 2011 or 12? to test it out, and if nothing else, to have as a "truck call," and unluckily for me, it was unacceptable, and then Icotech's customer service was non-existent.

I had the opportunity to run it side by side of a FoxPro Spitfire at the time, and initially, the GC300 put out almost as much volume, with just about the same clarity (to human ears at least) as the Spitfire. But after a few weeks in the field, the electronics quit responding - wouldn't power up, play sounds, nothing. I contacted Icotech at the time, and after a number of calls and emails and about 6wks, I had to foot the bill for return shipping to get it replaced, which took forever. The replacement unit had a lot of background "hiss" or "buzz," it didn't get worse when increasing volume like speaker distortion, but it did get louder, and frankly, if I can hear it, then coyotes could REALLY hear it. I contacted icotech at that time about a refund, which I never got.

I gotta admit, buying at Walmart might be an advantage, since you can return anything to Walmart.

Now... That was 3-4yrs ago, maybe they've fixed their issues for the 350, and/or their customer service.

I'll look forward to hearing your buddies experiences after months in the field with it.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Sent a Email to my friend asking about his home built unit and buying the new one.
His reply

"
So, when I got back into this addiction, I looked at the available e-callers and the sticker shock just about stopped me!!!! I ended up building my own caller and loaded it with sounds found on the web and a couple of my own recordings. It worked, but it had some disadvantages. First and foremost, it was large, the speaker and amp were bulky and a I needed a pack to carry it in. Second, volume control was problematic. I needed a huge spool of speaker wire to set it out any distance from me. (one of the major advantages of an e-caller is, of course, getting the sound source away from the hunter, making it easier to get that shot off without being detected) And the controls on my MP3 player weren't the most handy for the job I asked it to do. However, it worked and I have gotten some fur shooting over that homemade thing, and I enjoyed doing it!

Then my wife, bless her heart, bought me a Johnny Stewart Preymaster 2. That little thing was handier than a pocket in a shirt to carry, had great sounds on it, and an easy to use remote. But it pretty pathetic in the volume department (actually quite good in certain situations where less volume is better) and volume control was a slight issue, no way to control volume from the remote. I actually found that I could use it in place of my MP3 player, with my homemade unit and get incredible volume though. And the selection of sounds, though they were very good, was pretty limited, and no way to program any more on it. But it did bring in fur on occasion.

Then I got this Icotec.....and it's almost perfect! It has the power to get the sound out there, and if you feel that's not enough there is an external speaker port that can be hooked to a power horn speaker for calling them in from the next county! I'm talking serious loud here!!!! Would be a good combination for a desert or prairie hunter! It comes with 24 sounds from Wildlife Technologies and they are pretty darned good sounds! Coyote Female, Coyote Yip/Howl, Coyote Male, Coyote Pup Distress, Jack Rabbit Distress, Cottontail Distress, Gray Fox Distress, Red Fox Distress, Timber Wolf Pup Distress, Timber Wolf Alpha Howl, Mouse Voles, Adult Bobcat, Bobcat In Heat, Raccoon Pup Distress, Crow Distress, Crow & Barred Owl, Woodpecker Distress, Snow Geese Flying, Snow Geese Feeding, Wild Turkey Tom Gobbles, Wild Turkey Hen Chirps, Fawn Distress, Whitetail Buck Grunt, and Whitetail Snort Wheeze. It also can have other calls programed onto it. Using standard SD cards one can program up to 24 sounds on a card, so with multiple cards it would be possible to have hundreds of calls in ones library of sounds. The remote is simple to operate and has a claimed range of 300 yards. I tested that claim and found it to be true, at least in direct line of sight. I don't know why anyone would want a caller 300 yards away from the shooter, but if you do, it can do it. Plus you can control the volume from the remote! And the whole thing fits in the bag of my hunting stool for transporting. Plus, the caller has a special clip that the remote can be attached too so it doesn't get lost/separated from the caller when not in use. It also has a jack to hook in a distraction decoy for remote operation. I've compared it to a friends Fox Pro and I honestly think the Icotec sounds better. That may be my prejudice speaking though, because I own this one. The only thing I can think of that would be in the Fox Pro's advantage is the Fox Bang feature.
My son and I have taken 8 song dogs over this thing in 12 stands so far, two of those were doubles. (he got the doubles of course, I ain't that good)
OH! One more thing...the thing that initially sold me on the Icotec.....COST! less than half the cost of comparable featured calls from other manufactures. I know that one gets what one pays for, but sometimes a company produces something better for less, not often, but it happened in this case.
Disclaimer: I have no connection to Icotec other than being a satisfied customer. And I can't say that you will be as happy as I am with Icotec, but I thought I'd post this review so y'all know about a good, in my opinion, product. And my apologies fer being long winded here, It's too danged cold outside and I got too much time on my hands."

Al
Old 07-01-2015, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

In case ya'll wonder about the cold comment, it was only 48F in down town Marquette yesterday with a NE wind off the lake so there may have been a wind chill.

I wore a hooded insulate sweat shirt this morning when I took the pup out at 7:00 AM.

Al