Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New Guy- Night Predator Questions

Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Spike

Default New Guy- Night Predator Questions

Hello-

I got a farm in PA loaded with foxes and a couple bobcats and would like to try some night predator hunting. I got an electronic call, spotlight and a light designed to be attached to a gun.

The farm is 225 acres, half cut corn and soybeans and half woods.

My questions...

1. When you are hunting at night, do you always setup on the edge of a field? What about in a clearing in the woods itself? Would be noisy getting in to the spot.

2. Do predators usually approach from the woods in this situation? Wondering if i need to play the wind always with the idea they will be approaching from the woods.

3. Gun- I own a 7mm-08, 30-06, .22 and 12/20 gauge shotguns. I shoot best with the 7mm-08. I imagine it is way to much gun for predators but would be nice to use it for my first few times out since I shoot best with it. What about the shotguns? Im thinking open fields would limit my ability to use it. Will have two guys, so maybe bring both?

4. Any tips for someone new that would be helpful? Thanks.

5. Do you go full volume on the call the whole time? its a cheap call, not a foxpro.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I kill my fair share, but I like to hunt predator in the daylight hours.

Look for the guy who posts here called "bhw" - PM him.

He hunts at night and stacks them up in upstate NY !!!

He has a post in this section titled "The season so far..." (about 6 posts lower than yours).

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-21-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I kill my fair share, but I like to hunt predator in the daylight hours.

Look for the guy who posts here called "bhw" - PM him.

He hunts at night and stacks them up in upstate NY !!!

He has a post in this section titled "The season so far..." (about 6 posts lower than yours).
Thank you for the response
Old 12-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Joelb53
Hello-

I got a farm in PA loaded with foxes and a couple bobcats and would like to try some night predator hunting. I got an electronic call, spotlight and a light designed to be attached to a gun.

The farm is 225 acres, half cut corn and soybeans and half woods.

My questions...

1. When you are hunting at night, do you always setup on the edge of a field? What about in a clearing in the woods itself? Would be noisy getting in to the spot.

2. Do predators usually approach from the woods in this situation? Wondering if i need to play the wind always with the idea they will be approaching from the woods.
Playing the wind is the only way to hunt, period. Fox and bobcat tend to travel more directly to the call sound than coyotes. Fox are wary, so they hug cover, but are more willing to come straight downwind than coyotes are. Fox will still blow your cover if they smell you, so don't give up the downwind advantage. Cats don't seem to hunt by scent as much, so they also are more prone to come in from upwind without fighting for an advantaged "sniffing position". Cats hang up at ANY edge, fence line, cut, blade of grass, whatever... They'll come in, then suddenly just sit down and go motionless, so you have to pay close attention to every stick and leaf and shadow to be sure you pick up if a camouflaged cat snuck in and sat down.

They - most likely - will come from the woods, but don't be surprised if they don't.

3. Gun- I own a 7mm-08, 30-06, .22 and 12/20 gauge shotguns. I shoot best with the 7mm-08. I imagine it is way to much gun for predators but would be nice to use it for my first few times out since I shoot best with it. What about the shotguns? Im thinking open fields would limit my ability to use it. Will have two guys, so maybe bring both?
The shotguns are the only ones on the list that are proper for cats or fox, or even for coyotes. The 22 long rifle could work, but only at very short ranges, say under 50yrds. Since you're night hunting, the shotgun is the way to go anyway. The 7-08 and 30-06 will flat ruin the valuable hides of a fox or bobcat.

4. Any tips for someone new that would be helpful? Thanks.
Play the wind, and watch your downwind side. Pay attention to detail so you'll notice if a cat comes in and sits down, or if a dog comes in and hangs up. If you have a partner, set them 50ish yards to your downwind as you call to guard the back door. Night hunting can be hugely productive, but nothing is a freebie - plus it has the drawback of extremely limited visibility range. Pay VERY close attention to where the animal is standing when you shoot, and where it goes after hit. These animals can cover a lot of ground very quickly, and can disappear behind a blade of grass when they die. Decoys can be helpful or harmful. Get in quick and quiet, and sit down, then let the set cool for a few minutes before you start calling - like you mentioned, the farther you walk into the woods, the more likely you are to get busted.

5. Do you go full volume on the call the whole time? its a cheap call, not a foxpro.
Ease into the call volume. If cats are on the menu, let it play continuously. For coyotes, less is more - play for about 30sec, then turn it off for a few minutes at a time.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Playing the wind is the only way to hunt, period. Fox and bobcat tend to travel more directly to the call sound than coyotes. Fox are wary, so they hug cover, but are more willing to come straight downwind than coyotes are. Fox will still blow your cover if they smell you, so don't give up the downwind advantage. Cats don't seem to hunt by scent as much, so they also are more prone to come in from upwind without fighting for an advantaged "sniffing position". Cats hang up at ANY edge, fence line, cut, blade of grass, whatever... They'll come in, then suddenly just sit down and go motionless, so you have to pay close attention to every stick and leaf and shadow to be sure you pick up if a camouflaged cat snuck in and sat down.

They - most likely - will come from the woods, but don't be surprised if they don't.

The shotguns are the only ones on the list that are proper for cats or fox, or even for coyotes. The 22 long rifle could work, but only at very short ranges, say under 50yrds. Since you're night hunting, the shotgun is the way to go anyway. The 7-08 and 30-06 will flat ruin the valuable hides of a fox or bobcat.

Play the wind, and watch your downwind side. Pay attention to detail so you'll notice if a cat comes in and sits down, or if a dog comes in and hangs up. If you have a partner, set them 50ish yards to your downwind as you call to guard the back door. Night hunting can be hugely productive, but nothing is a freebie - plus it has the drawback of extremely limited visibility range. Pay VERY close attention to where the animal is standing when you shoot, and where it goes after hit. These animals can cover a lot of ground very quickly, and can disappear behind a blade of grass when they die. Decoys can be helpful or harmful. Get in quick and quiet, and sit down, then let the set cool for a few minutes before you start calling - like you mentioned, the farther you walk into the woods, the more likely you are to get busted.

Ease into the call volume. If cats are on the menu, let it play continuously. For coyotes, less is more - play for about 30sec, then turn it off for a few minutes at a time.
Very helpful, thank you.