Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Effectiveness of low velocity pistols? >

Effectiveness of low velocity pistols?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Effectiveness of low velocity pistols?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default Effectiveness of low velocity pistols?

I'm curious the effectiveness of .177 cal pellets / bbs about 7.9g average on city birds, rats, squirrels and the liking within five feet or less from a pneumatic or C02 pistol at about 200 to 400 velocity. Any opinions?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

One simple question to your question. Why? I don't see the reason behind this question.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SecondChance
One simple question to your question. Why? I don't see the reason behind this question.

You never know the various situations one might find themselves in. Additionally, it is a questions that can only be answered. A question can be no more or less odd than someones answer. With that said, if anyone can't or doesn't want to give they're opinions of the question, by all means It's completely fine. However, if that's the case, they should not be responding to my thread.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by XauroraRAVEN
You never know the various situations one might find themselves in. Additionally, it is a questions that can only be answered. A question can be no more or less odd than someones answer. With that said, if anyone can't or doesn't want to give they're opinions of the question, by all means It's completely fine. However, if that's the case, they should not be responding to my thread.
I will answer your very odd as well as complexing question with what I find to be of the best answer to a very unique sitiation
If you were to be out with a weapon of less than ample power to cleanly take an animal of such extreme low velocities, 200 to 400, and I would assume that you mean feet per second, for you did not state in your question.
A. You are new to weapons and their perfomance ratings and capabilities.
B. Why or how would you be with in 5 feet or less to take such animals, they just wont allow this to happen for the instant you begin to move, they will scamper away like they are known to do!!
C. I feel that I am cheaply ammusing myself on a troll topic!!
D. These are both my opinions to your rather odd as well as questionable questions and my final answer.

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-20-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, a troll for sure, they are comng out of the woodwork. What is a city bird? A species I have never heard of.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-20-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Spike

I've had situations that squirrels were on tree branches three feet above me and birds five feet on the ground. Commonly, you are correct that typically an animal will flee before that distance is reached, however, not always. As stated above, you never know the odd situations someone may find themselves in. I've even found possums that were sleeping. Additionally, I by no means asked will a 200fps to 400fps pistol is capable of a clean humane kill within that range, I asked opinions of It's effectiveness. Whether the animal is already injured too badly to move, indoor pest control, or the animal could even be trapped, allowing much more than five feet. I think if you focus on what exactly is being asked instead of twisting my topic into what it seems, it would be a lot more cooperative. And yet I still don't understand why someone enjoys being rude in someones' topic when they have no intentions of helping. This is a free forum and none of us are paid to respond. Than start to wonder to whom the real trolls are. Again, if you have no intentions of helping or trying to help, just don't respond. Being rude won't make anything better.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by XauroraRAVEN
Being rude won't make anything better.
As this is a hunting site, we sometimes are the target of silly little anti-hunters that come here to stir the pot. As you are unknown and have asked what most here would consider an exceedingly odd question you must expect to be viewed with a jaundiced eye at first. Please keep this firmly in mind, and follow your own advice.

As to the original question, it depends upon the animal and where they are hit. A rat or squirrel is vastly tougher than a bird. At five feet almost any small game can be killed cleanly with even a slingshot - if the projectile strikes a vital area. A light weight and low velocity projectile would work but the impact point would be critical. If a vital area is not hit and the animal is not taken cleanly then it is just cruel. Cruel behavior is not looked upon kindly by hunters.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
As this is a hunting site, we sometimes are the target of silly little anti-hunters that come here to stir the pot. As you are unknown and have asked what most here would consider an exceedingly odd question you must expect to be viewed with a jaundiced eye at first. Please keep this firmly in mind, and follow your own advice.

As to the original question, it depends upon the animal and where they are hit. A rat or squirrel is vastly tougher than a bird. At five feet almost any small game can be killed cleanly with even a slingshot - if the projectile strikes a vital area. A light weight and low velocity projectile would work but the impact point would be critical. If a vital area is not hit and the animal is not taken cleanly then it is just cruel. Cruel behavior is not looked upon kindly by hunters.

Hello,
I was aware that my question would appear odd to most, although I wasn't expecting to receive blunt insults as responses, though. Even though my question is public, I'm a person that would ignore public questions that I can't or won't answer. I would never respond to a question in such manor.

A side note, I know this is a hunting forum, however, keep in mind that my question doesn't necessarily specify hunt. Rats and squirrels can be a nuisance on private property. Some may just want them dead by any means. And again, I know it is a very rare situation, but, not an impossible situation to be close enough. It's happened to me various times. Please don't assume that I am not here for hunting due to my previous comment, I simply wanted to point that out so we all can be opened minded to the many possibilities rather than making assumptions. I did find a comment in a previous post, by the way. Mentioning they killed a squirrel with a lungshot, using 200fps velocity. I don't know more details, but, again, be opened minded and understand that these events can happen. It doesn't mean they planed, just can happen. Thank you for your response.

Last edited by XauroraRAVEN; 11-20-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's instead discuss the INeffectiveness of a 200-400fps bb gun.

I'll also comment that I offer this response with piqued reservation, as there's a strange smell on the original post, and certainly worse yet on the subsequent responses. One glaring question I'd have is - where do you even buy a bb pistol that only shoots 200fps? I've only ever seen one model that slow - a Spring powered Marksman 1010 made for shooting darts as a game indoors. Getting within 5ft of animals aside, and killing animals outside of the context of HUNTING them... The whole thing just sounds off...

But, you've asked the question - how effective can a 200-400fps 0.177" BB pistol be?

I've shot many squirrels with a CO2 powered pistol that was specified at 480fps, and even at that level, BB's do not penetrate the animal. Head shots are the only suitable option, as they have to kill by blunt force, without penetration. Body shots will not yield death except for in the smallest of animals, and even then may not yield fast, effective, ethical kills. I shot a few pigeons with a Marksman 1010 before I realized that it couldn't be used for that purpose.

Proper multi-pump BB rifles only shoot 600-700fps, and they often don't have the energy to kill small game. Body shots on rabbits don't generally kill, even though these rifles are far more powerful than what you're talking about. Relatively speaking, you're talking about 0.45ft.lbs. compared to about 4.8ft.lbs.

So no, having done so and learned my lesson, I would not say that I'd remotely recommend that you risk injuring or abusing animals by shooting them with a 200-400fps BB gun.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Let's instead discuss the INeffectiveness of a 200-400fps bb gun.

I'll also comment that I offer this response with piqued reservation, as there's a strange smell on the original post, and certainly worse yet on the subsequent responses. One glaring question I'd have is - where do you even buy a bb pistol that only shoots 200fps? I've only ever seen one model that slow - a Spring powered Marksman 1010 made for shooting darts as a game indoors. Getting within 5ft of animals aside, and killing animals outside of the context of HUNTING them... The whole thing just sounds off...

But, you've asked the question - how effective can a 200-400fps 0.177" BB pistol be?

I've shot many squirrels with a CO2 powered pistol that was specified at 480fps, and even at that level, BB's do not penetrate the animal. Head shots are the only suitable option, as they have to kill by blunt force, without penetration. Body shots will not yield death except for in the smallest of animals, and even then may not yield fast, effective, ethical kills. I shot a few pigeons with a Marksman 1010 before I realized that it couldn't be used for that purpose.

Proper multi-pump BB rifles only shoot 600-700fps, and they often don't have the energy to kill small game. Body shots on rabbits don't generally kill, even though these rifles are far more powerful than what you're talking about. Relatively speaking, you're talking about 0.45ft.lbs. compared to about 4.8ft.lbs.

So no, having done so and learned my lesson, I would not say that I'd remotely recommend that you risk injuring or abusing animals by shooting them with a 200-400fps BB gun.
You and me too Brother!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.