Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time squirrel hunter in VA

Old 10-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default First time squirrel hunter in VA

I went skeet shooting a few weeks ago, which got me interested interested in squirrel hunting, this would be my first time.

Forgive the basic questions...I was looking for advice on:

- good places to go in Virginia, preferably northern VA and not too expensive

- where to rent a gun, and what to rent (over-under 12 gauge shotgun?)

- recommendations on what to bring besides the gun (I was thinking a knife to skin any squirrels I get, plastic bags, hand warmers, food what else)?

- anything else you would recommend to a new hunter you wish someone would have told you

Thanks very much
Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Don't know where to go in VA.
Rent a gun, Never heard of such a thing. Buy a used 22 rifle either a long rifle shooter or mag shooter, 20 ga. or possible a 410.
Yes you need a knife, I like to have a box cutter handy. I also like pruning shears to cut the legs off. Do a You Tube search for skinning a squirrel.

You need clothing for the climate, squirrels do move about a lot in the rain so rain gear is handy to have.

Al
Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

cant help you with where to hunt in nova, but just do some google searches on squirrel hunting and you will find pages about nothing but tree rats. Early in the season i like a 20 gauge, when the leave start dropping i go to a rimfire. Mostly you have 2 methods of hunting, either slipping thru the woods stopping often or finding a nice spot and sitting. Learn the type of nuts squirrels like and then learn the trees, and use that to try and find your squirrel hunting grounds.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwiley
I went skeet shooting a few weeks ago, which got me interested interested in squirrel hunting, this would be my first time.

Forgive the basic questions...I was looking for advice on:

- good places to go in Virginia, preferably northern VA and not too expensive

- where to rent a gun, and what to rent (over-under 12 gauge shotgun?)

- recommendations on what to bring besides the gun (I was thinking a knife to skin any squirrels I get, plastic bags, hand warmers, food what else)?

- anything else you would recommend to a new hunter you wish someone would have told you

Thanks very much
I don't know about Va, but read all these tips.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/smal...ps-tricks.html

There are a lot of good tips for a beginer.
I would buy a .22 rifle with a good scope.
And a good pair of 6 or 7 x power binoculars.
You will see squirrels that you would miss without them.
Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Spike

Thanks all, I hope to get out there soon weather permitting.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Weather permitting? What does that mean your a fair weather hunter of some thing?
Squirrels have to move every day to eat. I have seen them moving in a wind chill of 30 below with 19 fresh inches of snow on the ground. I admit they don't move about and stay out to eat when it is that cold but never the less they do come out.

My self I like to go into the woods find a nice oak tree to use as a back rest sit my butt down on a padded 5 gallon pail I painted flat black. I have shot with my 22lr 8 squirrels with out moving to a different spot.

Al
Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Be sure and check your local laws there are daily bag limits in most states and in IN. late season squirrel hunters are required to where hunter orange
Old 10-21-2014, 04:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

You went out and shot skeet, great, good start, however, one just doesn't rent a gun and go hunting. Did you take and pass a hunter education course, required before you may buy a license? Do you have a hunting license? It appears as though you may still have some work to do before you go hunting. With your lack of knowledge about what to do I would suggest you get an experienced hunter to take you out and mentor you, not just blunder about. I am actually thinking this may be a prank post since even non hunters know there are pretty much squirrels in every woods and mountain in VA. Where can you go? Not too expensive! Squirrel hunting isn't a pay and play like shooting skeet. You need to do a lot more work before you hunt, if indeed this is a letgitimate post.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-21-2014 at 04:45 AM.