Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
308 for 'yotes.  What bullet you useing? >

308 for 'yotes. What bullet you useing?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

308 for 'yotes. What bullet you useing?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 308 for 'yotes. What bullet you useing?

I am looking to take some yotes this winter with my new play toy in 308 and could care less bout pelt damage. I just don't want to be using 168gr BTHP or such for I know they don't expand. I at least want to drop the animal in a very short distance or instantly if possible. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

"........... could care less bout pelt damage."

Anything you use out of a .308 will bury them.

I'd recommend using whatever your gun likes best.

Just kill'em !!!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

Just kill'em !!!
Bad thing is my rifle is set up as a long range sniper set-up, closely matches my work set-up, and I have shot MANY of the 168 and 175 HPBT Match ammo's and not much of anything else. I have shot yotes with them before to only have them run off KNOWING I had a deadly hit to only watch them drop over after a 100yds. MatchKing bullets don't open up on critters less than an elk worth a crap. I was just more or less nosey of what others were using. Head shots don't really seem to matter what I am using I guess. Was looking at loading some of the 150 Nosler BT's but at $25 for 50ct is a tad pricey for song dogs. Was thinking about the Horn. 150grn or 155grn A-Max as well. Just tinkering round!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-22-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about getting some speer tnt varmint bullets? My friend loaded some up in his .243 and it was red mist when he hit a jackrabbit with it. They are designed to explode on impact and should work well.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any fragmenting bullet is great !

I use Hornady V-Max on varmints & predators............DRT !!!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'm a fur hunter, so any time I hunt, I'm balancing harvesting game with harvesting pelts, so my bullet choice might be a little different than yours, since you're not worried about pelt damage.

Frankly, I gotta agree with Sheridan here, whatever you throw out of a .308win will do the job. I've used .308win and .30-06 for coyotes for a long time, with everything from A-max's and Winchester Ballistic Silvertips up to Hornady Interbonds and A-Frames (opportunity kills while deer and elk hunting).

I actually tend to PREFER a more solid construction bullet, the harder the better, when I'm talking about 30cals for coyotes. It doesn't take much expansion to do a LOT of damage, so I'd be much more prone to suggest a Matchking than I would a V-max. Stick it where it needs to go and you're gravy. A good deer hunting bullet, like a Hornady SST (if you can get them to shoot well in your rifle) should suit you just fine.

At the other end of the spectrum, A-max's, V-max's, Ballistic tips, or HPBT's will do fine as well. But they'll likely blow a hole the size of a softball out the back side. "Explosive expansion bullets" will be more apt to DRT a dog, but they're also a bloody mess.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 11-21-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Personally, I'm a fur hunter, so any time I hunt, I'm balancing harvesting game with harvesting pelts, so my bullet choice might be a little different than yours, since you're not worried about pelt damage.

Frankly, I gotta agree with Sheridan here, whatever you throw out of a .308win will do the job. I've used .308win and .30-06 for coyotes for a long time, with everything from A-max's and Winchester Ballistic Silvertips up to Hornady Interbonds and A-Frames (opportunity kills while deer and elk hunting).

I actually tend to PREFER a more solid construction bullet, the harder the better, when I'm talking about 30cals for coyotes. It doesn't take much expansion to do a LOT of damage, so I'd be much more prone to suggest a Matchking than I would a V-max. Stick it where it needs to go and you're gravy. A good deer hunting bullet, like a Hornady SST (if you can get them to shoot well in your rifle) should suit you just fine.

At the other end of the spectrum, A-max's, V-max's, Ballistic tips, or HPBT's will do fine as well. But they'll likely blow a hole the size of a softball out the back side. "Explosive expansion bullets" will be more apt to DRT a dog, but they're also a bloody mess.
I used to fur trap and hunt back in the late 70's and early-mid 80's. But of the last 20yrs the pelt prices have dropped through the floor and now we can't seem to be able to give them away.
I doubt they make a TNT round in 30cal for that is not its intended purpose. I just loaded up 45 rnd of 2 different powder combos last night with Horn. 150 SST's with AA2520 and IMR 4064. So we will see if they group and go from there. I also have some Nosler 165 BT's to try out.
I am VERY familiar with the v-maxs in the 22cal for I have several 220 swifts and 22-250's that I shoot and am just more or less wanting to play with the 308. I mainly hunt round several livestock farms here and have many oppurtunities to pop a 'yote on way to work or just out n bout. Heck, we feed the yotes back to the hogs when we get them. Return to the earth for the earth provided!!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 11-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
any bullet that shoots well in your rifle will do. from what I've saw from my experiences shooting yotes, ya won't get many bang flops but hit well they bleed good allowing a quick recovery.
RR
.220 Swift or 22-250 in the chest area with a 55grn V-maxx running in the neighborhood of 3700fps or more and it is DRT!!!! Not any running off to recover later. Hit one straight head-on in the chest and see what pops out of the other end at those velocities!!!!!
I can shoot the lighter 40grn V-maxx and 50grn V-max, but really like the 55 V-max or nosler Bal. tip for better wind bucking capabilities and downrange energy. 99% of the time those rounds never exit. Total frag inside, total body absorbation of kinetic energy transformation.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I mainly use a shotgun now and I am an avid advocate of
the HeviShot DeadCoyote shells. They pack a serious
punch......
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

Just kill'em !!!

No need to comment further.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.