Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

thumbhole vs traditional stocks

Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Spike

Default thumbhole vs traditional stocks

I'm checking out the Savage varminter rifles and like the looks of the thumbhole stocks. However, having never shot a thumbhole stock rifle, I'm wondering how they leave your hand feeling after a long day at the range. This isn't an issue with varmint rifles, but will a thumbhole stock on a large caliber rifle damage the ligaments in your hand with the recoil? Will length of pull and sight position be the same with a thumbhole vs traditional rifle?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're using proper shooting form, your hand isn't taking any recoil, regardless of the stock configuration.

Personally, after a long day of shooting, my wrist gets much more tired after shooting a traditional style stock. Thumbholes or "gooseneck" style stocks with steep wrists and near vertical pistol grips are much more ergonomic (which is why they're ALWAYS used on benchrest rifles, when shooters are more concerned with relaxed natural point of aim).

When shooting a "standard" stock, I typically don't throw my thumb over the top and I bundle my hand in front of the wrist/pistol grip, rather than torquing my wrist into an unnatural position.

Frankly, our handbones are BUILT to be parallel to our arm bones. Standard stock wrists contort them to nearly perpendicular to the forearm, which is unnatural. Thumbhole stocks with large palm swells are some of the most naturally positioned and comfortable shooting stocks designed.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I shot a .300 RUM several times yesterday. It had a thumbhole stock. It was more comfortable shooting it off the bench than a regular stock. I do not think I would like the stock for hunting purposes though. But as for recoil, you absorb that on your shoulder.... You don't, or shouldn't, absorb recoil with your hand.
-Jake
Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Last summer I put a thumbhole stock on my winchester model 70 .270 and you will not feel any recoil on your hand, only on your shoulder. And as mentioned above the large vertical grip is much more comfortable that a traditional rifle stock. The length of pull did not change significantly and I found I got a much better cheek weld and sight alignment with the thumbhole stock. If you are going to bench shoot it also is much steadier and I shoot slightly better groups with the thumbhole stock. And as far as hunting with it to each his own. I used it last year and it didn't bother me a bit, but some guys just do not like a thumbhole on their hunting rifle. I got mine from stockysstocks.com for around $130 to replace the factory plastic stock. It is woodland camo.
Attached Thumbnails thumbhole vs traditional stocks-ksa_tundra_std.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess ONE downside I might point out for using thumbhole stocks for hunting is how they carry when slung around the body, rather than just over one shoulder. In general, a "standard" stock has a pretty smooth bottom-line (belly side), so they ride very comfortably when they're slung cross body (over your head like a seatbelt). Thumbhole stocks usually have a very abrupt pistol grip, so they don't ride flat against your back.

There are a few ways around this problem though. The easiest answer is to carry them over one shoulder, rather than cross body. I have mounted the swivel stud in the base of the pistol grip, which makes the rifle ride slightly lower on the body, so the belly of the forend and magwell lays nicely against your back, with the pistol grip and buttstock actually extending beside you. Another option is to use a sling that carries the rifle with its SIDE against your back. Another option i've used is to tie the bottom of the sling through the thumbhole, again, lowering the carry position.

My favorite option is a "safari type" sling, so I can carry the rifle low-ready with a little extra support, but still sling it to cross fences, open gates, etc.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Spike

I picked up a savage axis 30-06 and I HAVE to upgrade that stock!
I also shoot a lyman great plains 50 cal hawken and a Rossi 12 ga SxS and my dad's old Remington 550-1 22 s/l/lr

all are 'traditional' stocked, I was looking at boyd's for the savage and have it narrowed down to either the prairie hunter of the TH varminter, in either I need the 14" pull length.

So what would be a better choice for 'field' use?
Old 12-27-2017, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one which fits you better will be the better option for field use. The Prairie Hunter is a fantastic traditional stock, with a Monte Carlo roll over comb - certainly an easy carrying, nimbly pointed stock. The varmint thumbhole is a heavier, more full figured stock, but it's still remarkably light considering its profile. As I mentioned 6 years ago in this thread, the steep grip angle of the thumbhole stock fits my wrist more comfortably, so I deal with the extra bulk of thumbhole or benchrest style stocks - if that has changed at all since this was originally posted, it has only gotten worse, as my arthritis in my wrist and elbow progresses.

If the thumbhole stocks fit you better, then that's the better option. It's usually easy enough to find an exemplar to test fit at a nearby big box hunting shop. If nothing else, your comfort with an AR vs. the standard Axis stock would be a good stand in reference.

My wife likes her Prairie Hunter stocks. I prefer my Pro-Varmint and Thumbhole Varmint stocks. Strokes for folks.