logo
 

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Spike
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montgomery, Il
Posts: 16
Default what are the laws for hunting coyotes in illinois?

I would like to go hunting for coyote hunting in illinois but idk what i need? could i hunt coyotes with a mini 14 and do i need a permit? if so then what type and how do i get one? and one last thing do i need tags for coyotes?? i know i am asking alot and im not expecting all the answers but if you could then i would be greatful. :mrgreen:
tindell9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,421
Default

Are you a resident or non-resident of Illinois? Either way, you will just need a regular hunting license and habitat stamp.

Second, yes you can use the mini-14, but I would use ballistic tip ammo for they don't skip like the heavier ammo does from the .223 for the houses are so close is why they won't let us use HP rifles to hunt deer with.

Third, no you don't need tags for 'yotes, just plenty of ammo and a place to go!!!! What part of Il are you plannning to hunt?
SecondChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Spike
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montgomery, Il
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChance View Post
Are you a resident or non-resident of Illinois? Either way, you will just need a regular hunting license and habitat stamp.

Second, yes you can use the mini-14, but I would use ballistic tip ammo for they don't skip like the heavier ammo does from the .223 for the houses are so close is why they won't let us use HP rifles to hunt deer with.

Third, no you don't need tags for 'yotes, just plenty of ammo and a place to go!!!! What part of Il are you plannning to hunt?
i dont know anyone but i want to go to public hunting lands like silver springs or anyplace close to there. if you know some place that has alot of coyotes then let me know and yes i am a resident
tindell9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,421
Default

I would say that with you being in the proximity of Chicago and areas, you may have a hard time finding a place to hunt.
I used to work in Chicago for 5 years and know what you are dealing with. The best thing you can do is go out to the local farmers and start door knocking and see what that gets you. I know there is some public hunting areas up there, but don't know where they are. I used to goose hunt up there, but was only with some of the locals that I worked with who had family who owned property. That and talk with the local Game Wardens and see what they can point you to.
SecondChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Spike
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montgomery, Il
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondChance View Post
I would say that with you being in the proximity of Chicago and areas, you may have a hard time finding a place to hunt.
I used to work in Chicago for 5 years and know what you are dealing with. The best thing you can do is go out to the local farmers and start door knocking and see what that gets you. I know there is some public hunting areas up there, but don't know where they are. I used to goose hunt up there, but was only with some of the locals that I worked with who had family who owned property. That and talk with the local Game Wardens and see what they can point you to.
thank you. you have been a big help
tindell9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Fork Horn
 
jrfrmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 495
Default Coyotes

You can't hunt Silver Springs with a rifle. I don't think you can shoot coyotes there unless they changed it in the last few years. Your best bet would be to go west in Kendal Co. and farther and start asking for permission. Don't tell them you are a beginner, because you will probably get a lot more no answers than yes anyway. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindell9 View Post
i dont know anyone but i want to go to public hunting lands like silver springs or anyplace close to there. if you know some place that has alot of coyotes then let me know and yes i am a resident
__________________
And I will do it.
jrfrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Spike
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montgomery, Il
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfrmn View Post
You can't hunt Silver Springs with a rifle. I don't think you can shoot coyotes there unless they changed it in the last few years. Your best bet would be to go west in Kendal Co. and farther and start asking for permission. Don't tell them you are a beginner, because you will probably get a lot more no answers than yes anyway. Good Luck.
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...R2hfs/slsp.htm

it says coyote hunting here and i live in kendall county thats cool thanks
tindell9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Default

If anyone interested I have 5 acres in Will County ane coyotes are a serius problem would love to have some one hunt them
breeze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: lake county il
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze12 View Post
If anyone interested I have 5 acres in Will County ane coyotes are a serius problem would love to have some one hunt them
Very interested in hunting ur property for coyotes wat can I do
elchales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Default Hunting on your land.

Hi my name is Chris I am from Woodstock an really interested in hunting your property.
Gunguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:38 AM.