Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel Hunting Tips & Tricks.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mossbergman11/OH
anybody have any late season squirrel tips?
Look for a food sorce.
You find their food, you will find the squirrels.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

never wear hunter orange as squirells eyes are very similar to turkeys.I hunt with an airgun and its very ffun you really should try it.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mortalcare
never wear hunter orange as squirells eyes are very similar to turkeys.I hunt with an airgun and its very ffun you really should try it.
Check with your states regulations.
We are requaired to wear hunter orange in NC to squirrel hunt.
It doesn't bother the squirrels, as long as you sit still.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

I say pretend you are still deer hunting. THat will fool them. Let a bunch of them get on the round around you and when you start shooting be ready to keep going. Then lay off an stay put until they come back out.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Spike

If the squirrel is running then shoot towards it and it will likely stop running. It will look stand up on its hind legs, that is when you take your second shot for the kill. I've been doing that for years with great success.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

Default squirrels

Where I hunted as a young man - it was mostly small farm wood lots and not a lot of squirrels. They were all fox squirrels, and some of them were wise old boars, that if they saw you - would duck into a hole in a den tree and stay there till you left no matter how long you sat or how quiet you were - they also ignored all calls. I thought those smart old guys were almost too wise to ever get-till I met this old hunter who walked past my house with a limit of squirrels real often. One day I got brave, and asked him how he got so many, so often. He told me this trick - and it helped me take a bunch of those smart old boogers over the years. When one of them busts you and holes up like they will. Just sit down where you have a good view of the hole and wait for things to settle down - 10 or 15 minutes - then - take a small mirror,(I use a metal GI signaling mirror) and flash the light into the hole a few times - moving it back and forth,then put it away and get ready. Usually, that old squirrel will come boiling out of there spoiling for a fight and chattering like crazy and an easy shot if you're ready. Of course - this only works on sunny days.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
o_O
Spike

I agree it's the movement rather than the color that disturbs them. If I hear another hunter in the wood I'll put on a orange hat and I keep a vest in my pack just in case, but at the very least I clip an orange baseball cap to the back of my pack. I don't care if I miss a squirrel if it means I don't catch a stay shot by accident.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Spike

I use a Remiington 597 its a .22lr semiauto shot a fox squirrel in Jan at 80yrds with it watched it fall but its always ready for a second shot if needed.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

I deer hunt with a double barrel & slugs. If things are slow and the squirrels are active, I'll pop in a couple high brass #6s and try my luck. Funny thing is, they have this 6th sense about when you are hunting them, when I specifically target squirrels it never seems to come together.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 10-19-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Try this:

Find a decent mast tree area.
Bring your scoped .22 or .17hmr and a camp chair.
Pick a good spot then glass or wait for treetop movement.
Limit your movements.
Headshots only please.
Drop a squirrel, take note of where he is.
Stay in your chair, another will be along momentarily.
Limit out, go collect your bushytails at the bases of each tree.

Works best when mast is still attached to the trees.

True story: A buddy and I limited out, 12 each in two hours doing just this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.