Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do squirrel calls actually work?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do squirrel calls actually work?

Have had a lot of success in the past few weeks just still hunting and wanted to know, gave them a look at walmart. Do they work or no? If so, any recommendations?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Spike

I bought one at either Walmart or Mills Fleet farm last year, and it seemed to work pretty well. However, before you go spend your $ on one, try this. Take two quarters, hold them perpendicular to each other, and rub the ridged edges together. It will take some practice to get it perfected, but once you do it will sound much better than a store bought call. Plus it only costs 50 and you still get to spend it after you're done hunting.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I always carry one and have had success using it to get a Squirrel to reveal itself after I have been busted or it just won't get into a position for a good shot. They usually pop right out when they hear it.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Imho

i think they are a useful tool to have with you. I use mine as a locater most of the time. Just something to get them to bark & look.

Can't quite remember which one I have. It's made of wood. I got it at Gander mountain for $10 but I removed the rubber deal that came on it and blow it in stead. I think this makes the call easier to control.

happy shooting
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt deer a lot and they are a pest! Doesn't matter if they are grey or red squirrels either. Not 5 minutes after I find a place to stand or sit, they start to squawk being ticked off. Just the other night I was long range scouting deer and a chipmunk and squirrel were making so much commotion 20 yards from me, it got the attention of a buck 300 yards away!

So my tip: Sneak along and sit where you think a squirrel or two may be at. Sit there for a few minutes after things have quieted down, and they'll go about their business.

iSnipe.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Spike

Default zzzzz

Originally Posted by iSnipe
So my tip: Sneak along and sit where you think a squirrel or two may be at. Sit there for a few minutes after things have quieted down, and they'll go about their business.

iSnipe.
I like to go to a location where there is squirrel sign. I sit and lean against a tree and go to sleep. When I wake up after 20 minutes, one REM period, any local squirrels are ignoring me and I can get a shot at one who is unaware that I am awake and armed.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Cal-MI
I like to go to a location where there is squirrel sign. I sit and lean against a tree and go to sleep. When I wake up after 20 minutes, one REM period, any local squirrels are ignoring me and I can get a shot at one who is unaware that I am awake and armed.
HAHAHA!!!!!BOLOGNA!!!!You prolly wake up and scare every squirrel away from u!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

nah - the snoring keeps them away
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cal-MI
This is also a very effective method for Deer! I have to admit to using on several rather desperate occasions!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Spike

ive had a lot of success with my Primos squirrrel call. just walk slowly through the woods and start barkin on the call and one always seems to bark back then you can get yourself into position

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.