Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How long do i boil traps?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long do i boil traps?

How long do i boil my traps in dye/wax?When should i dye wax traps(season starts 11-14-09).I put the traps in the rain yester day,they have a little rust on them,does the whole trap have to have a light coat of rust?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

With brand new traps, I let them boil/simmer in the dye for 1 to 2 hours and then turn off the heat and let them set overnight. Then the next morning reheat to a boil and remove traps and let them thoroughly dry. If the wax has been heated to the proper temperature, it usually takes less than 1 minute for the trap to be waxed completely. The sooner this process is done the better but I would definitely let the whole trap get a light rust first (this can be sped up by soaking in salt water or vinegar). As long as your done by Nov 1, you should be good to go.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yes wait till it is completley covered with a light coat of rust
Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't bought the dye and wax I would just speed dip them. Actually, I'd just speed dip them even if you have already bought the other. Far easier and will last much longer than the wax.