Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get? >

One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?

Old 05-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?

I want to get an air rifle that is not too expensive, but accurate in shooting small game out to maybe 30/40 yards. Anyway, I have heard that the Sheridan Blue Streak is a good pump that is accurate, and that it isn' t worth getting the combo package guns that are FAST, but not accurate. Any suggestions on getting whether to get the open sight, 1 in 12" twist Sheridan Blue Streak for $140, or maybe the open sight Benjamin 1 in 14" twist pump at BassPro for $109; or should I get a one-pump spring gun with or without a scope? My main focus is something that is accurate and deadly on chipmunks, mice, birds, grouse, and also maybe squirrels.

Thanks! I posted about a year ago and was going to go with a high end gun, but another baby, a new house, and building a cabin has interefered with my ability to afford one!
Old 05-12-2003, 02:53 PM

Default RE: One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?

30 to 40 yds is streching it with a air rifle. I used to work at a sporting goods store that sold sheridan rifles and they were decent, but not 30 to 40 yds decent. I' d probably go with a pump so you can get more power if you need it.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t have any experience with the sheridans you mentioned, but I' ve been around a couple others from time to time, and from what I' ve seen, those single cock/pump ones aren' t worth diddly even though some cost as much as a dang good .22lr rifle. Maybe right out of the box they' re ok, still pretty weak compared to a Crossman 10pumper, but they die quickly, after about two-three months of having one you can watch the BB in flight. I' ve had my crossmans a Pumpmaster and a powermaster or something like that, for going on twelve years for one and a decade for the other, the only thing I' ve done to them is oil them and open them once each to blow dust out of them. They still shoot as strong and as accurately as ever, I can hit the bottom of a pop can at 50yrds every time and they' re stout enough to penetrate out there with BB' s (with $8 tasco 4x glasses on them). I' ve shot rabbits at 25-30yrds, and that' s getting out there, even when using pointed pellets.

Those NRA air rifle match rifles are pretty good, but as much as they cost, I wouldn' t buy one, for what I use it for, a little less accuracy is fine by me, considering for the price of those rifles I could get a couple Marlin 60' s! I think My crossman' s are like $60-80 nowadays, and for what it' s worth, they' re worth every penny.

I doubt you' ll find ANY .177 or .22 air rifle that will hit a mouse sized target for you at 40yrds, even off a bench, that' s asking a WHOLE LOT.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:53 PM

I have to agree with nomercy. I' ve had my Crossman 760 for over 8 yrs. And never had a bit of trouble with it. It' ll do the job on pigeons....Oops, I mean flying rats no problem. And as for rabbits, they might as well say good night Gracey. Because it does the job. And for for maintance, as Nomercy says, oil it after around 250 shots and your good to go.

Coyote Caller
Old 05-13-2003, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, fellas. I will concentrate on pumps only. I will look into the pumps, including the Crosman 760 as well as the Sheridan and Benjamin. I can mount a 4x scope on those? And if I go with the Benjamin, since I have the points to get one, should I choose the .177 caliber at 800 fps or .22 at 685 fps? I was thinking the .177 would be sufficient. I guess there' s not much difference in 1 in 12" twist versus 1 in 14" twist?

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:12 AM

I' d go with the .177 so you can get a little more distance. There' s not gonna be enough difference to notice, and it' ll do fine. You can mount a 4x on the Sheridan and I think on the Benjamin as well. Just check with the dealer before you buy em. They should be able to help you out. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you, I will go with the .177!

I noticed that the BassPro site has the .177 for $109, but it doesn' t specify the model number. The guy behind the counter said it says on the gun " 597PA." But the woman who took my call at 1(800)BassPro said that item number relates to the 397. I guess the two are the same? It would be nice to know it is the 397, and that the 1 in 14" twist is not noticeably different in accuracy from the 1 in 12" , such that it would be better saving the $20 and going with the 597PA (397).

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ordered online a remanufactured Benjamin 397 (.177) for $72 after shipping, $40 less than BassPro, and it will arrive in a few days, whereas BassPro is backordered. The warranty is the same, and the guy at the site assured me that every one hasn' t been used much at all and may only have cosmetic blemishes.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:43 AM
Dominant Buck

If you' re serious about pellet gun hunting , and your state allows them , go for a spring piston type airgun like Beeman or RWS . They don' t keep pressure on the seals while waiting for a shot . The brands mentioned are NOT cheap , Beeman starts at $200 , But they are well worth the cash . One cock on these guns can generate muzzle velocities as high as 1,100 FPS , and will accurately shoot out to 30-40 yards with a scope . Spend the money for the .22 caliber model for better knockdown . Or , better yet , invest in a good .22 rifle like the Ruger 10-22 .
Old 06-17-2003, 11:30 AM

what are u hunttin for?

Quick Reply: One cock versus pump air rifle- which to get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.