Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting Help??

Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Coyote Hunting Help??

Deer season is winding down here in North Alabama and I'm really hoping to have some luck coyote hunting after the season.I got into coyote huntin late last season but it was about spring and I guess the yotes had enough to eat during the springtime and I did'nt haveany luck.Last year I boughtthe $99Prey Master call and I even went as far to buy me a .223.
Things are a little different for me this year.I've recently movedand I'm now just a 4-wheeler ride up to my hunting club on the mountain.So I hope to be more prepared for the yotes and maybe have some located in advance.Is their a locater call that I can get to be able to locate them? I can ride up there at night and maybe be able to locate some if Ican find out what type of call.Last year I mainly hunted small fields and suchso I'd just set up and start calling.Do I basically do the same thing in the mountains?
Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.I'm really hoping to tag me one this year.
Thanks in advance,
James
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Default RE: Coyote Hunting Help??

your prey master should have a howl or two on it
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Hey fly true,my Prey Master has a coywolf barks/howls.Would that be my locater? I kinda figured it was but I read somewhere that they have several howls and was'nt sure if that was good for locating.
Thanks man,
James
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

I would start with some sort of rabbit in distress sound,or even the woodpecker or flicker at a low volume,you dont have to howl to call a coyote,however certain times of the year it is the best way to call them,but a rabbit in distress has killed more coyotes than most other sounds put together and you being able to sneak in undetected is far more important than the sound you choose to use.Dont be afraid to change your sounds,if a coyote bust you on one sound or you miss him,he may not come to that sound again,watch the wind,we have had a perfect wind for one of my favorite spots for two days until about calling time this evening then it started swirling and changing directions due to an upcoming front so I had no luck on coyotes and switched to bird sounds to call in a bobcat if one was around,this is also an advantage of not howling when you start unless you are hunting coyotes only,I have seen video's that showed cats and foxes coming in after a howling and a distress sequence,but I have not called in either after howling.Good Luck!!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply coyote#68.I plan on using the rabbit distress call while i'm hunting.The howler I planned on using when I'm not hunting to locate them.It's not legal to hunt coyotes at night here so I thought I could hit the locater at night for basically scouting.I went to Gander Mtn tonight and bought the Coyote Caller #3 and it has a coyote locater on it so we'll see how it goes.
The main thing I'm concerned about is setting up.Where I hunt their is no open areas or fields to call in,and a lot of our land is rough and hard to get to.I have noidea in the world which direction they would be comingfrom so it makes taking the windinto consideration tough.In a nutshell our land kinda goes like this.We have one main 4-wheeler trail and to the left side the mountain goes down at a fairly steep angle,to the right it's straigh up,and were close to the top.I would assume they would be coming from the bottom of the mountain up.Only thing I know to do is find a hollar or something with a lot of visibility and start calling.I know its hard for you guys to help me with a setup with out seeing the land,but any help or suggestions you could throw at me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
James
Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

I used to have one of them before I bought my foxpro,and I think it's the group howl.I have had more than one pack howl back at the same time using it.I have it on my foxpro so I can do some locating at night,we are also unable to hunt them at night in KY.The only thing I didn't like about m prey master was the cord,other than that it was an excellent caller,I liked to crow hunt with it,you should try it it's a blast!Good Luck!!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yea for a beginner I really like it.I figured I'd start off small and gradually work my way up if all goes well.I definately plan on crow huntin with it.I have'nt got me a crow call chip yet but definatly plan on it in the future.
Thanks again man,
James
Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Hey the PM isnt just a beginner call,I just wanted something else,I used it after I got my foxpro for certain set ups,I dont have it now and have all the sounds on my FX3 .If you get a crow chip,I used the one with crow come here on it and it worked better than all the other sounds to get them in.I now use a lot of different crow sounds but it is a the top of the list.Crow season starts back here soon,and I'll be able to shoot some I missed the early season sitting in a tree with a stick and string but I'm almost tagged out for this season,so I must hunt other species!Good Luck!!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

bamahuntin where in huntsville are you located i just got back from hunting just outside of cave springs rd on vacation down there
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

I'm North East of Huntsville in New Market.Not real sure where Cave Springs Rd is.Have any luck?
James

Quick Reply: Coyote Hunting Help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.