Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyotes and coon pulling out

Old 01-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default coyotes and coon pulling out

i just pulled a trap line that i had out a week over christmas break . . there was 45 traps and i caught 12 coon 11 possum 1 coyote and 1 skunk but i had 3 coyotes pull out of my traps and 3 coon pull out . . i was using sleepy creek 1.75 double coil for coyote and victor number 1's for coon and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a coyote trap that will hold one or if there is a way to rig it to hold one . . also i was wondering if the victor number 1's are to small for coon because i did not catch ONE coon in one but caught most in conibears
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyotes and coon pulling out

their are a couple ways you can fight against this. For both coons and coyotes you can attach the traps to a log that they could drag and then they would not be able to get the leverage to pull out. Just make sure the log is big enough that they wont go more then 20 or so yards with it so you can find them. For coons you can use bigger traps like 1 1/2 coilspring or 2 coilspring but of course no one likes to buy new traps. and for coyotes you can use number 2 and even number 3 coilspring. Also usinga short chain does not allow the coyotes to get as much force by jumping or lunging to pull out. Just make sure to double stake. hope this helps some.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Well was he in the trap comletley and chewed off or pulled out or u found the trap throwed. Um usually its just the reflexes of the coyotes that get em out. In that case just make the bait hareder to get too. Um coons have pretty slow reflexes so i dont know what to tell ya about that.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

the trap was as far as the wire would allow itto be twisted into a fence, with fur on it
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

A number 1 for coon is a little small if land trapping them. I would use the 1.75's on the coon.

Coyotes are hard to hold onto and hard on traps. When you say double coiled I assume you mean there are 4 springs on the trap? Also are the jaws offset and laminated? You should put a shockspring in the chain if you don't have one. You would have to get a real true catch on a coyote to hold them in a 1.75. Bridger #2 modified traps are good for coyotes, also like the MB-650. The MB is a bigger trap and and takes more time to set/bed.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

#1's are really too small, even for our southern coons---so I'm sure the big boys up there would be hard to hold. Try 1.5's or 1.75's. If you don't want to get new traps then try wiring your #1's to a small log or green bush---something with a little give--then the coons can't get enough leverage to pull out.

SHORT chains for coyotes are key. I like to use Berkshire disposables and drive the chain right down into the ground as well--leaving only about 4-5 inches above ground. They can't get enough momentum to pull out that way. I catch them all the time in 1.5's set this way----'yotes are smaller down here too, mind you.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mez

A number 1 for coon is a little small if land trapping them. I would use the 1.75's on the coon.

Coyotes are hard to hold onto and hard on traps. When you say double coiled I assume you mean there are 4 springs on the trap? Also are the jaws offset and laminated? You should put a shockspring in the chain if you don't have one. You would have to get a real true catch on a coyote to hold them in a 1.75. Bridger #2 modified traps are good for coyotes, also like the MB-650. The MB is a bigger trap and and takes more time to set/bed.
no i meant only 2 springs, the jaws are offset but not laminated

.....i have round #15 number 3's, should i use those for yotes
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what a round #15, #3 is? Even with a #3 you will want 4 springs on the traps. You can order spring kits from trapping supply houses specific for the traps you have to put the two extra springs on them. Makes them much faster and much stronger.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

my total amount of #3 traps is fifteen , sorry[&:]so the 4 coil is what i want for coyote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The number 3's will work fine but I would put the extra coils on them so they have 4 instead of 2. Do you know what brand of trap they are? You should be able to get a kit to 4 coil them for a couple bucks a trap.

Quick Reply: coyotes and coon pulling out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.