Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Sunday Coyotes...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Sunday Coyotes...

My buddy Jeff and I were out chasing coyotes Sunday. This was the first day out for me. The first stand Jeff and I had set up a little ways from each other and had 3 come to the caller. I kept thinking why is he not shooting? We were filming so I was thinking he was letting me get all the footage I could. They left and then returned for round two. Still no shots rang out. After they had left. Jeff came over to tell me his firing pin on his rifle was froze up. :madder:
We went to another spot and saw one walking in about 400 yards infront of us. I quickly set up the caller along the ditch and we went and sat down. Almost instantly we had one coming in. He was at 75 yards and running to the caller. Jeff, got on him and I heard CLICK! Again...Jeffs gun wouldn't go off. I got on the dog and leveled it with a shot out of my 204. We had another bounding in from the left. He stopped at 80 yards I tried to get fancy and earhole him. Needless to say... I missed. :shrug:

Next stand we moved to was along the same ditch about 500 yards east. Now Jeff was shooting my rifle. We were just about to give up and Jeff had stood up. A coyote appeared 200 yards down the road from us. As the dog was focused on the decoy, Jeff got ready. The dog stopped at 120 yards and Jeff was on him. At the shot the coyote jumped and spun around standing broadside. Jeff shot again and put one right over his back. This time the coyote didn't stick around and headed for the woods. I looked over to see Jeff hanging his head.

We made out final stand and had one coming in. He was trying to circle down wind. I was the only one to have a shot. Jeff handed me the rifle. I let him get to about 70 yards and gave him a dose, in the neck. He was down.

Saw 12 coyotes, shot 2 and missed 2. Should have been alot more but those things happen. All in all a GREAT day to be in the field.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sunday Coyotes...

Great day for you! Congrats.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

wack them dawgs kill em all.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

congrats