Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping in really colder weather.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default trapping in really colder weather.

I just started trapping this year. I had been having really good luck up until this week when the weather started to get really cold, like below 15 degrees. This morning 9 degrees, frosty and calm when I went out to check traps. didn't even have any tripped, other than a rabbit in one. Yesterday same thing. Just wondering if this is normal for when it gets really cold. I know I don't like being out in 9 degree weather myself. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: trapping in really colder weather.

Dunno where you live or what you are trapping. In my experience in the lower midwest, the coons do not run much when it gets that cold. However, i would think that coyotes and foxes would be out and about.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I am in north central kansas. It also seems to me that animals don't move as much on calm nites as they do on windy nites. Just my experience though.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good idea to try to keep the sets functional and freshly baited. A warm front in the wake of a bad cold snap will have everything out and running.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Super G Force

I just started trapping this year. I had been having really good luck up until this week when the weather started to get really cold, like below 15 degrees. This morning 9 degrees, frosty and calm when I went out to check traps. didn't even have any tripped, other than a rabbit in one. Yesterday same thing. Just wondering if this is normal for when it gets really cold. I know I don't like being out in 9 degree weather myself. Thanks in advance.
Some animals are like humans. There are a few nuts that will venture out but most will hold up till it warms up a bit.
Also how many did you catch in the area? You might have to move on to another spot cause you caught them all in that place. Another wise decision to do is try not to catch all the fox out of an area . Take like 3 or 4 and don't target them any more. Need to repopulate the area and if you catch them all,it will be a while before any more move into that area. I will say bad weather or you caught them all. Let the traps be for a few days and see what happens. If anything get in and lure them real quick and get out. If nothing after a few days. Pull your traps and move to another location. Coons can be caught when real cold,but you have to be close to where they den. They don't venture far if they do come out in the cold.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Some animals are like humans. There are a few nuts that will venture out but most will hold up till it warms up a bit.
Also how many did you catch in the area? You might have to move on to another spot cause you caught them all in that place. Another wise decision to do is try not to catch all the fox out of an area . Take like 3 or 4 and don't target them any more. Need to repopulate the area and if you catch them all,it will be a while before any more move into that area. I will say bad weather or you caught them all. Let the traps be for a few days and see what happens. If anything get in and lure them real quick and get out. If nothing after a few days. Pull your traps and move to another location. Coons can be caught when real cold,but you have to be close to where they den. They don't venture far if they do come out in the cold.
Thanks for the advise. I have caught 4 coons last week but I have 7-9 on my game cameras at my feeder on any given night. My other game camera that I have corn put out at on the ground usually has 4 coons a night at it. The 2 cameras are 1/2 mile apart. I have just started like I said so it is all a learning experience. Any advise I get on here is a real help. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

i would think that trail sets near your feeders would work good as would dirt hole sets by the feeders.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM

Bucket sets also work nice with body traps in them. That if if your allowed to use them. A 160 works great for coons. What I like about connibears is they don't freeze up and easy to reload in buckets. If your allowed I would try them with some fishy smell. Corn will work but they allready know where to get that from. Try something like fish or sweet smelling to mix it up abit.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM

sammy_tat looks like something we can agree on! Bucket sets are great for coon. If there legal where you are I would do like sammy said and use a bucket set and connibear.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have a bucket set and I am working on another one now. The rest are foot hold. I am waiting till deer season is over to put traps by my feeder. I have them about 300 yards away now by a barn and that seems to be working well. Might have to move closer to the feeder earlier than planned.
Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: trapping in really colder weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.