Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Head Shot Or Body Shot On Squirrel

Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Head Shot Or Body Shot On Squirrel

Hey guys getting ready to do a lot of squirrel hunting for the next two weeks before deer season starts.Will be taking my boy who is 7 years old soon to turn 8.We will be using a 410 pump and 20 guage pump.With a 22 I always shoot in head but with shotguns would you shoot for head or try a body shot.I tend to think a head shot but am curious to see where you shoot them with a shotgun.All comments are greatly appreciated! Mike
Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Inactive

Default RE: Head Shot Or Body Shot On Squirrel

I tend to go for the head/front shoulder shot witha small gauge shotgun. Any meat ruined in the front quarter would be negligeble. Of course, with a 22, i always go for the head shot.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Spike

with a shotgun i ussualy aim for thfront of the head try to keep the pattern away from the meat but i rarely hunt squirrel w/ a shotgun prefer hunting w/ a rifle, head shots allways w/ the 22.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I like to stay with the .22 or .17 and take a head shot. With shotgun head shot but aim a little in front. So not so much of the spread hits the shoulder and body.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

VASLUGGER- i myself use a 410 with7 and half shot or 6 shot with 3inch shells. And i also go for the head. Good luck and have a safe hunt.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Bark Em". I enjoy bark shooting with a 22. If you can not get a good bark shot, thenthe head shot with the 22. For the kids with a shot gun I would consider center mass shots. You never know where the BB's are going to go, so have them aim center mass. Tom.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

If I use a shotgun I aim for the head,but if they are more than a few yards away you are going to get pellets in the meat everywhere sooner or later just advise the youngster to aim for the head and if they hit it anywhere then it's a good shot,main thing is they have fun and shoot alot,that is what will get them to go back time and time again,and as they get older then it will be about who made what shot and how far and so on.GOOD HUNTING and enjoy your hunting partners.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

"Bark Em". I enjoy bark shooting with a 22. If you can not get a good bark shot, thenthe head shot with the 22. For the kids with a shot gun I would consider center mass shots. You never know where the BB's are going to go, so have them aim center mass. Tom.

I'd have to agree. Center mass shots for kids so they can enjoy taking game and as they get older, teach them to move out in front of the squirrel. Paterning your shotgun will help alot in knowing how much to lead them.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Spike

i like a .410 with #6 shot, you get some pellets in the body but not enough to hurt anything, just pick them out as you clean em.