HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Crossbow+Coyotes in Los Angeles County (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/256041-crossbow-coyotes-los-angeles-county.html)

agooga 08-04-2008 05:28 PM

Crossbow+Coyotes in Los Angeles County

I live in the hills near the national forest boundary in Sun Valley (just north of Burbank). Lately my neighborhood has been overrun by coyotes. They are far more numerous and bold than in years past. Many neighbors are losing pets (including us), and many neighbors (including us) have small children.

My wife watched as three coyotes ambushed our cat last thursday and carried her off. This was at 11 am while she was walking our German Shepherd (on leash) right in front of our home. Our daughter plays around the house, and it is becoming more routine for packs of coyotes to hunt during broad daylight hours.

I am not a hunter, per se, but I am an experienced user of firearms. My question to those that know is: Is it legal to discharge a crossbow or compound bow at a coyote within the city limits?

I know that coyotes are legal non-game, no limit, and a hunting license is required.

Frankly, I'd shoot the buggers with a .223 or shotgun, but for the laws regarding discharge of a firearm.

I'm looking for a legal way to do reduce their numbers and give them cause to rethink using my street as a buffet table.

And, no, I am not an experienced bow hunter-- yet. But I am a quick learner and a safe shooter. Also, my neighborhood is almost rural, there is no chance of injuring a neighbor as long as I use a tad of common sense-- which I will.

Thanks in advance!

jrbsr 08-04-2008 05:48 PM

RE: Crossbow+Coyotes in Los Angeles County

ORIGINAL: agooga

I live in the hills near the national forest boundary in Sun Valley (just north of Burbank). Lately my neighborhood has been overrun by coyotes. They are far more numerous and bold than in years past. Many neighbors are losing pets (including us), and many neighbors (including us) have small children.

My wife watched as three coyotes ambushed our cat last thursday and carried her off. This was at 11 am while she was walking our German Shepherd (on leash) right in front of our home. Our daughter plays around the house, and it is becoming more routine for packs of coyotes to hunt during broad daylight hours.

I am not a hunter, per se, but I am an experienced user of firearms. My question to those that know is: Is it legal to discharge a crossbow or compound bow at a coyote within the city limits?

I know that coyotes are legal non-game, no limit, and a hunting license is required.

Frankly, I'd shoot the buggers with a .223 or shotgun, but for the laws regarding discharge of a firearm.

I'm looking for a legal way to do reduce their numbers and give them cause to rethink using my street as a buffet table.

And, no, I am not an experienced bow hunter-- yet. But I am a quick learner and a safe shooter. Also, my neighborhood is almost rural, there is no chance of injuring a neighbor as long as I use a tad of common sense-- which I will.

Thanks in advance!
Make sure you check what the local law's are where you live.
If you can't shoot a bow or crossbow.
A little dog food with antifreeze will fix em, Just don't tell any one about it. ;)

bowmanaj 08-06-2008 02:06 PM

thats crazy.. I would def. fear for my kids. It depends on the laws in your state but if you go to California's DNR website I'm sure you could figure it out. As for the getting in trouble for discharging a crossbow, I don;t think that would happen. Honestly, if I watched my pet get carried away by yotes I would not hesitate to blast them everytime I saw them

agooga 08-06-2008 05:53 PM

Thanks for the moral support-- I have in fact looked up the laws and it appears that it is illegal to discharge ANY type of projectile weapon within 300' of a residence. That's what I think the law is in Los Angeles county, and I'm still trying to get that confirmed.

If that's the case, I don't care to blast a coyote from my window / door for fear of being prosecuted / cited. It just really pisses me off that I can't defend my pets, family and property from an obvious threat without fear of legal consequences.

coyote#68 08-06-2008 09:02 PM

thats the exact reason we should all support the nra and other such organizations,and be very aware of who you are voting for and if they support our 2nd amendment rights.I have read that Ca. has some very strict laws concerning hunting and such and I hope that it dont come this way,but it will if anti-hunting orgs.have their way it will be nationwide someday.And a 22subsonic would probably kill or atleast make it steer clear of your yard and they are pretty quiet in a bolt action gun or a high powered air gun would make it jump good if you used that.Best of luck I'm lucky I live at the edge of the city limits and half the farm is considered in the city and the others side of the road is considered county.But I;m able to hunt it all and fire high powered rifles and such without bothering anyone or having the law come to my house.You may also consider a live trap but one for a coyote would cost over 100dollars,but then you could take it out in the county and kill it,maybe.

USNRETHunter 08-11-2008 03:26 PM

I agree with Coyote#68 as to utilizing a bolt action 22 with the subsonic rounds. If you snipe from inside the house with a rifle and decent scope, you should be able to headshot them quietly. It works well for me for rabbits in my yard. I figure that although I'm not allowed to discharge a firearm in the city limits, I am allowed to carry a firearm in my home for protection. So I am technically discharging the firearm in my home....Those attack rabbits are nasty, with Huuuuge teeth.
The question then is how to make them disappear. People may get curious if yotes start dropping dead with holes in their head. Are any of the neighbors going to be an issue in the event they figure it out, or will they give the Sgt. Schultz answer if the cops come around?..."I know nussssink"

agooga 08-12-2008 01:16 PM

I have one set of neighbors that are PETA type animal lovers. But I think I'd have the carcass shoveled before they'd notice anything. The other three neighbors on my street would be happy to be rid of the coyotes.

millagerobert 08-12-2008 02:00 PM

I don't know about California, but you may check with your local wildlife department. Some will trap nuisance wildlife for you. Could save you the hassle all around.

furgitter 08-19-2008 06:53 AM

I love trapping urban coyotes! The same problem came up in San Diego in 2005. I spent 30 days in Point Loma and killed 150 coyotes. They had killed every dog and cat they could find. Some pics are on a ning.com site under anytime animal control, have a look!

granitesun 09-06-2008 12:16 PM

Agooga - also check to see if it's even legal to kill any animal at all with any method in whatever city you are in. The boiler plate city law set many cities use has the a blanket law making it illegal to kill any animal in any fashion whatsoever. This leaves the animal control people as essentially your judge and jury as they decide on wether to press charges on you or not. If they do press you'd automatically be quilty because the generic law is it's unlawful to kill or cause to be killed any animal for any reason unless you are a vet or animal control officer.

A. Cruelty to animals is:
1. Intentionally killing, injuring, maiming, torturing or mutilating any animal.

(exception for vets and animal control officers follows but it's long).