Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Need help with choice for first Coyote rifle. >

Need help with choice for first Coyote rifle.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need help with choice for first Coyote rifle.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Need help with choice for first Coyote rifle.

I've been centerfire and bowhunting for the last 30 years but am new to coyote hunting, as I saw the show on Versus with these two guysdrillin em at out to 740 yards. Impressive.
I've been askin around a bit and doing a little net research as well and I've been looking hard at the Remington Bolt Action, Model Five, 17HMR, 22 Inch Barrel.
Please understand about wife/kids/mortgage/carpayments etc. in regards to price being a nessasary consideration for me. The Remington comes in at about a little over $300. Is that budget etched in stone ? No, but I can't swing $600. either.
One thing that is holding me back on this is that on Sniperworld.com, this guy complained about the trigger assemblybeing crap.
Also, as I live in Massachusetts soI'm not taking any long range shots like on that show.
Thank you so much for any help on this.
-Scottie
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help with choice for first Coyote rifle.

First off the 17HMR isn't really a yote gun. It will kill but not as well as you will always hope. yotes are tuogh and will tote a 17 round off fast.

If budget is a consideration you can always use the centerfire rifle you already have there is no such thing as overkill, especially when the critter has teeth.

If yo want a dedicated coyote rifle look for a centerfire anywhere from 17 up to quarter bore. Also, you can find a used gun at a good pricemost likely, or look at a Savage or Stevens rifle.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Thank you for the feedback Ruger,but as I live in the Commonwealth (read:KennedyCountry) there is no centerfire hunting here at all. Here are the regs straight out from the book.

8. HUNTING IMPLEMENTS: It is lawful to hunt fox, coyote, and bobcat with rifles, shotguns, handguns, or archery, provided that:

[blockquote]
(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail season, only shotguns and archery may be used;
(b) handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22caliber;
(c) coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);
(d) fox and bobcat may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than #1 birdshot.

So you see my situation ? I think I can go to .22 Hornet or magnum butno wider in diameter. (I have to check on that in more detail)

What I'm really asking here is if anyone can recommend a new rifle in any of those calibers in the$3-400. range, as I'm going to need a scope, bipod, calling gear etc. as well.
Thanks again for any help.
-Scottie
P.S. Any tips on the otherequipment or anything else, would surely be appreciated as well.
[/blockquote]
Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .22 calibur covers alot of rifles ie:.220swift,.22-250,.223 ect.... So you have more choices then that.A .223 will be the cheapest to shoot and most likly to buy.Get a good scope and you are ready!!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM

As I shot an M-16 for 8 years in the Army, the .223 would have been my first choice without a doubt, as I know that bullet backwards and foreward and what it can do. But if you read the regs, it's .003 over the bullet diameter limit. Ibelieve I need a rifle chambered for one of the .22 bullets and if I can find the right gun/bullet combo in my price range that would be great.
If any of you know a specific rifle model and the caliber, as well as bullet weight, I would really be grateful.
Thanks again for the feedback.
-Scottie
Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

How about 22-250 in a NEF or a savage? Have you given any thought on a used gun?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: recurver167

How about 22-250 in a NEF or a savage? Have you given any thought on a used gun?
I may have to consider a used gun but I really don't want to. I have a thing about buying used stuff. Why did they want to get rid of it, if it's so good? It's differant with cars, that's an expensive nessesitybut when it come to my gear, especially guns,I like to know that everything has been maintained, taken care of and never abused, as well as any repair history, before I chamber a round and fire it.
It's just a personal thing but I may have to be flexible this time,if I want to get what I want at the price I can afford. Almost all the guns I have now, I bought before my kids were born and are all excellent choicesas my father has an FFL license which helps too.
And yes, I'm going to look into the 22-250 but I think I'll take Ridge Runner's advice and contact the Commonwealth about just how much flexibility there is on that .22 caliber reg.
Thanks again.
-Scottie
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'duse a shotgun. Thats what I use on pasture panthers, foxes and other things that eat quail here in VA. Most of my shots are inside 50 yards, and at night with fairly smart quarry I'm much much deadlier with a shotgun myself.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .204 isn't, IMO, the best round out there, but it'll get the job done for yotes.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to look at the 22-250 checkout the .220 swift also.

Quick Reply: Need help with choice for first Coyote rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.