Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Coyote / Fox Electronic Calling Techniques >

Coyote / Fox Electronic Calling Techniques

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote / Fox Electronic Calling Techniques

Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Coyote / Fox Electronic Calling Techniques

I live in the piedmont of NC. I'm new to predator hunting. I purchased the johnny stewart preymaster electronic call with the 60ft cord. So far i've seen a single coyote while using a rabbit in distress. I'm not sure how long i should play the calls, the patterns that are most effective. How much calling is too much? What is the best method to get them to come in. I have confidence in this caller and i'm a very experienced hunter, just not with predators. A couple locals have been losing cattle and pets around here and want me to get rid of the yotes!

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks guys and i love this forum already!

Travis
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Spike

Default RE: Coyote / Fox Electronic Calling Techniques

I have used that same call for about 3 yrs, in Indiana. I found that the rabbit distress and the flicker work best for me. I had the same problem when i first started with that call as well. After talking with others and watching videos, I learned that there are alot more factors than just what sound to use, such as; make sure you are down wind from where you think they will come from, don't walk out in the open to get set up, and don't hunt the same spot too many times. When I use a digital call i like to let it run the entire time I am at a spot, I stay at one spot for 20-30 min. The other thing I have found useful when hunting during the day, don't waist your time hunting on a day after a bright night, I haven't had much luck at those times.
Good Luck!

T.R.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks! do you mix the two calls simutaniously or just alternate them? Do you pause between the different calls?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Spike

I don't like to change sounds once I have started with one. It just doesn't seem very realistic to me and I haven't had much luck doing that. Though I have talked to some others who will run a call for 15mins and if no response, then wait 5 and change sounds for another 15. Hasn't worked for me but you never know. If one sound doesn't work one day then the next timeI come back to that spot I will try another. Another tip i forgot to mention the other day, I like to use a Coyote Howler about 5 mins beforeI start calling. It sometimes gets their attention. The two that I use are the Hot Dog and Sonic Dome mouth reed, both made by Primos. Randy Anderson has a video, "The Truth3", that will teach you how to use them, I suggest getting it. Another good video is "Callin Coyotes" with Mark Zepp. His video is structured on how to hunt coyotes, where as Anderson's teaches you "a little" on how to call them. Either way they are both excellent and I reccomend getting both.

Good luck and let me know how you do.

T.R.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have found that it really doesn't matter if I switch sounds when calling. It is all about finding that sound that provokes the predator to come in. I target fox most of the time. I usually break my stand into three phases. I start with rabbit or bird sounds at lower volume and work up. 10-12 minutes in I will switch to a different distress sound. The last phase I will switch to a gray fox distress or another fox sound. I havekilled fox with the prey sound switched to distress sound here comes another. Don't be afraid to switch sounds, they don't know the difference. They just here the dinner bell.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 PM

hey buddy
if you have a pray master I think you have the best. I hunt alot of dairy farms in Illinois, and i"ll tellya the chip that :deperate cotton: is on also has :coywolf barks&howls. Now if you go with that and a little hand held howl call you may have better luck. Anyhow february here I think you"re better off with dog vocals moreso than distress calls. this is the time of year thay think with the little head. Good luck!! Kill the dogs.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:40 AM

I use rabbit distress and yote howel. What realy works good for me is the whirly woodpecker decoy and the woodpecker distress cd.Also I added 100' of more wire to the pa.