Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon hunting with Rat Terriors

Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coon hunting with Rat Terriors

Now, since the coons are denned up, we have been using rat terriors to get them out. Has anybody else done this, I never new these tiny dogs could be so vicious, or just that dumb. Last night we got 7, one of our terriors pulled a half alive coon out of the hole, by its snout, the coon screaming the whole way. Its is real fun to watch a 15 pound dog rip in half a 30 pound coon!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coon hunting with Rat Terriors

thats a new style of hunting i guess. never heard of that happening. when we get one in a den tree we just say bag it we'll just tree it another nite. ya coon prices maybe up but ill tell you one thing i learned quickly youll never ever come close to making money with hounds.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Illegal as hell here, we can't bother them once they're in their den. Same with rabbits and squirrels, and we can't use another animal to do it anyway. Big fine.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Illegal as hell here, we can't bother them once they're in their den. Same with rabbits and squirrels, and we can't use another animal to do it anyway. Big fine.
It's the same here in iowa too. This is what it say in our rule books....
[align=left][/align][align=left]You cannot molest or disturb, in any manner,[/align][align=left]any den, lodge or house of a furbearing animal[/align][align=left]or beaver dam except by written permission of[/align]an of
ficer appointed by the director of the DNR.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard of doing it. As a matter of fact there were some guys hunting here about a week ago and got 42 in 3 nights. They hunted the stick piles and old abandonded houses. I generally just use a spotlight, or my lab/shorthair cross and my friends blue tick/black and tan/ walker cross. I was acrually hoping to eventually get a pack of terriers. Our other dogs cant dig through through stick piles like those little boogers do.