Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

AIRGUNS

Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Default AIRGUNS

DOES ANYONE USE AN AIRGUN FOR PEST CONTROL OR EVEN FOR SMALL GAME. I USE MY GAMO AIRGUN FOR SRUIRRELS AND RABBITS AND A FEW BIRDS. JUST WONDERIN IF ANY1 USES THEM, AND IF THEY DO WUT KIND IS IT- MINE IS A GAMO SHADOW SPORT (VERY NICE AIRGUN).
THANKS-
HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: AIRGUNS

Yes the Gamos are nice. I have the same one you do. It shoots really well and its what I use to take the red squirrels off the bird feeder. Its even handi on the occasional blue jay cawing outside the window at 6:00 am.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Hillybilly deluxe,

I am looking into getting an air gun for squirrels. I'm fighting squirrels for the fruit in my orchard. The squirrels made a clean sweep this year. I live on 4 acres of brush with 1 developed acre, so there is lots of room for squirrels.

One of my online gardening friends recommend a Gamo (1000 fps, I think) break-action air gun that fires hollow point pellets with scope (plus a terrier). Another says anything over 750 fps will work.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:54 PM

YEA GAMO MAKES NICE AIRGUNS- IF THESE SQUIRRELS ARE A REAL PAIN THEN ID GO WITH OVER 1000 FPS JUST TO BE SURE . ALSO HOLLOW POINTS WILL DO THE TRICK BUT WITH GAMO'S NEW PBA ROUND IT WILL INCREASE VELOCITY UP TO 25 PERCENT!! PLUS THIS NEW ROUND IS 50% HARDER THEN LEAD. I CAN SHOOT MINE FROM 30 YARDS THROUGH AN ARCHERY CUBE AND PENETRATE A 2X4 PIECE OF WOOD. IVE GOTTEN A LOT OF ANIMALS FROM 30 YARDS AND MORE. THE ONE THING IS WITH THE PBA ROUNDS IS THAT THEY ARE LOUD. ALSO IF IT DEPENDS HOW MUCH U WANT TO SPEND. IF YOUR REALLY REALLY REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR FRUIT THEN YOU SHOULD BUY THE GAMO HUNTER EXTREME. THIS SENDS PELLETS AT AN AMAZING 1600 FEET PER SECOND. THIS GUN IS AROUND $500.00. MINE (SHADOW SPORT) WAS ONLY $175.00. GIVE GAMO A TRY AT www.gamo.com AND SEE WHAT AIRRIFLE IS BEST. GOOD LUCK AND ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK.
- HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Hello hillbilly deluxe,

Thanks for the comments.

I don't know enough to be serious about an air gun. I'm trying to figure out how to do some comparison shopping. I like the idea that they are relatively quiet and have limited kick. I don't have a gun case, and would like to lock the thing up in a file cabinet. I suspect this would be easier if it was stored broken down within a case that comes with the rifle.

Of course, if it can't shoot with less than a 1" diameter dispersion at 20 yards, it won't do me much good.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 PM

ANYTHING AT 20 YARDS WILL DIE WITH THE SHADOW SPORT. IF U WANT TO U CAN EVEN GET THEM AT 40+ YARDS. IF YOU CAN, TRY TO GO TO A CABELAS OR A BASS PRO SHOPS STORE AND HOLD THE AIRGUNS AND LOOK THROUGH THE SCOPES TO SEE WHICH ONE FEELS THE BEST. THATS HOW I FOUND MINE. IF YOU FIND TWO OR MORE YOU LIKE PUT THEM SIDE BY SIDE AND CHECK THE STATS- SCOPE, TRIGGER PULL, WEIGHT, FEET PER SECOND, ECT. IF YOU FIND THAT THEY ARE THE SAME THEN I'D GO FOR THE ONE THAT FEELS MOST COMFORTABLE OR LOOKS THE COOLEST. I HOPE THIS HELPED ANY MORE QUESTIONS JUST ASK.
-HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM

>GO TO A CABELAS OR A BASS PRO SHOPS STORE

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Gamo this spring to take care of the red tree rats 1200 fps gets the job done.....
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 PM

i got a winchester .177 x800. i use that gun to kill squirrels in the city... ill have some more pictures in my trophy gallery in a couple of days i just added em today....... my pellat gun in the picture has no scope now it has a bushnell 3x9x40 so its alot more accurate
Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 PM

I went to the local Bass Pro shop this afternoon. They had 4 or 5 air guns in boxes, on shelfs. Nothing was out in the open. A Hunter Sport box was open, so I picked the rifle up to get an idea of its weight. It was surprisingly heavy. I couldn't do much with it because I didn't want to remove the packing that encased it.

The 'manual' I found had about 15 pages in English and most was devoted to safety rules. How does a novice learn to use the thing?

There was also a Gamo Viper which seemed to be an air-shotgun and about 5 other non-Gamo models.

Not a great deal of help, but I did find an inexpensive case and they sell the PBA pellets.

Quick Reply: AIRGUNS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.