Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do coyotes really kill calves?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:00 AM

Default RE: Do coyotes really kill calves?

Well, last I looked a cow and calf are not the same size. Not sure though, let me go look out my back door............yep they are! I thought we were talking calves not cows. So much for 48 years.[&:] Most people in my area call three and four coyotes together a pack and yes, in some areas it happens alot. Were not talking 6,8,10 animals here. I have never seen more then four together.

"We have never lost a calf to a coyote." - May I ask how many head you run? How many acres? What's your brand? What state you are in? If this is true, then you either are a farmer that just has a few head on the side or the God of ranchers!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried to use the generic term "cattle"-and yes I did say cow. Sorry for my mistake. We are small time farmer's-I will admit that. We only have 38 head. We run Black Angus only. We are in northern WV, and have 255 acres. We also take care of an additional 200 acres(all hunting land). I do not consider myself the G_D of Rancher's. But I have substantial hunting credentials, and I was only stating my experience.

I have never seen four adult coyote's together before. I have never personally met anyone who has. If you say you have-then I believe you, but it is my experience that coyote's are loner's??

I will also admit that it has only been the last five or six years since coyote's have become plentiful in WV. But I also have lived in B.G., KY were coyote's have been plentiful for years, and my friend's with farm's or "Ranches" did not have any problems with coyotes.

If calf killing was such an ordinary occurance then why have I never seen one picture of a coyote attacking and killing a live calf or cow. Maybe they are mysterious killer's like the giant squid???

Chill out man-I was only giving my experiences! And where did I say that it did not happen?? And where did I question all the poster's who said it happened to them?? Tom.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 AM

"I was only stating my experience" - Me to, I'm sure you do have great hunting credentials and I never said you didn't. I took your post almost like you were saying I wasn't telling the truth. I see that's not the case, but it did kinda come across that way. Anyway it's water under the bridge, let's just call it two people getting off on the wrong foot. OK?

Noah

Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

No problem.

It seems like most of the calves that get killed in our area is due to drowning. I will never understand what makes a cow want to have a calf so close to a creek. But then for that matter-why do they **** in the hay??? We keep our's in the upper pasture so the calf's will not drown. But sometimes I believe our neighbor's are just as dumb as the cow's. They still leave their cow's in their bottoms where they can drown. Tom.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

yes they really do kill calves a person in my family cought a few coyotes trying to take down a calf
Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you think coyotes do not run in packs go out at night.I've seen as many as a half dozen together at once.

This year,I've seen coyotes run right by a perfectly good pile of afterbirth to try and take the calf. And they kept trying to take the calf until we could get a shot off. I'm not a rancher, but I've talked to plenty that have lost calves to yotes.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 PM

yes coyotes do kill calves if the calve is alone. they also go for the slowest or sickest.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ground Hog hunting is my favorite thing to do. I tried something different. I take tie wire and wire all four leg's and the tail of a dead ground hog to a fence post. We then go back about 20 minutes before day light the next morning. We have shot 3 coyote's this year off of the ground hog carcasses. It takes a unique set up to do this(300 to 400 yard shots), but it works.

I have also noticed a decrease in ground hog number's this year. Every one is blaming this decrease on coyote's.

We tried a little experiment this year. We have left every ground hog where we shot it, and then returning the next day to check for carcasses-they are all gone. Yes, every single one that we have went back and checked(I have shot 53 this year so far). It wasn't that way years ago before we had coyote's.

I am not positive about the calves but they sure are **** on the ground hog's, and I rarely see cat's in the ground hog fields anymore. Tom.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:06 PM

I definately know it's true because the farm I have been hunting has had 2 calves killed in two weeks. I just found the hind legs in the field the other day to one and the rest of it had been drug up into the woods. By now the fawns are getting too hard to chase down. A calve is easy pickin, especially when the hunt in a pack.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 AM

This is one gametha tI have never really gotten the chance to try. I went to South Dakota a couple years back. the plan was a couple days of Pheasant, a day of deer, and some 'yote hunting. Our guide had to cancel on the yote hunt so we went out and shot some Prairie Dogs instead.
Do any of you live or hunt down in the south? I live in Georgia, in the Savannah area,a though I spend quite a bit of time in TN too. If any of you might be willing to let me come out and shoot some yets with you, I'd be appreciative of it.
I won't be home from the big sandbox till april, but I can still start my homework now. If not, no biggie, thanks for all the info on here for some good tips to bring them in.

Quick Reply: Do coyotes really kill calves?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.