Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do coyotes really kill calves?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM

Default RE: Do coyotes really kill calves?

I know it definately happens, but I don't know how often.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the best example!A few miles away from where I live a guy lost a FULL GROWN BULL to a pack of yotes. He heard the commotion and went to check it out and they just kept biting and circling wearing it down. He got his gun and got 4. I dont remember if it was dead or dying, if it was alive he had to shoot it as it was injured so bad. They had eventually got it on the ground and were going to town when he got there. Now he leads an army of guys on a yote slaughter. They tresspass like no other but I cant say I blame him. Last year theyshot around 70!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

It comes and goes in spurts around here. Since we switched to a largely beefmaster and beefmaster influenced herd, we haven't had many problems to speak of. Coyotes have eaten on a few calves, but most were stillborn or had some type of severe physical defect and died before the coyotes ever found them. I have watched coyotes watch our herds, especially heifers about to have their first calves, but haven't seen them do much other than watch and wait for something to have trouble calving. Most of our cows stay pretty close to the herd, and for additional protection, we pen heifers at the house when they are about to calve.

When I was growing up, we ran a lot of herefords. That was also before I did much coyote hunting. They weren't real good at staying in the herd, and we lost several calves and a few cows each year.

I have seen coyotes do the following:
[ul][*]Work in pairs running the cow back and forth across the calf,until the cow accidentally knocked the calf over and trampled it.[*]Cow calved near a fence. When about half of the calf was sticking out, about four coyotes grabbed it by the legs and pulled it out and under the fence.[*]Just simply attack the calf by overwhelming the cow with their numbers.[*]Grab a cow by the throat and kill her when she took a little long calving.[*]Take on grown cattle that were injured by stepping in a hole.[/ul]
I've also interrupted several attempts while out checking pastures.

The coyotes involved in some of the events described above were obviously very skilled and experienced hunters. If through hunting, you cantake out the experienced hunters, you takeout the knowledge and experience those coyotes gained to do some of the things mentioned above. Then the pack has to start over from square one to redevelop those skills. Keep killing the skilled hunters, and the coyote population never maintains enough experience under its belt to pose a serious problem.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 AM

yes i have lot of calves killed buy yotes here in nevada an ive seen them get alot of young antilope
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 AM

Can and will...

But unless there is more than one coyote they are mostly just looking for the calves protein rich crap-piles. Coyotes love that.

I have a buddy who sat down and started calling and had the whole herd of cattle come in to investigate. He just kept sitting there and sure enough a coyote started jogging right through the middle of the herd. The cows knew he was there and not a single one seemed worried. He watched it walk around in front of grazing cows and waited till he had a clean shot and bang-flop! Now that made the cattle a little more worried.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

i live on a farm here in PA and i had a blue heeler that was probably 10 years old that got into a fight with a coyote a whipped its rear end! I was very suprised, although she had a 3 inch gash on her head from the coyote. took 35 stitches or something like that to patch the hole up.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Its usually where thereis a relatively large pack ofcoyotes that they do this but they do. If they are hungry enough or there target is an easy one they will take it. Like someone mentioned they are not tough enough to do this to an animal that size alone.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think that they neccesarily are bad animals, i love hunting them but its nature, they are looking for food when they are attacking calves and fawns, theyre doing what they have to so they can survive, i think they get a bad rap
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 PM

Like stillhunter said, they are real trouble when in packs. Even two can get the job done pretty quick. For them, it's just fast food without the box!

No, their not bad animals but if they would hit your wallet for $1000's each year, I bet it would piss you off to.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Packs of Coyotes". I have been around coyote's and cattle for 48 years. I have never seen more than 3 adult coyote's together in my life. We have never lost a calf to a coyote. Will they eat a dead animal? Yes. Are they oportunistic? Yes. Do they kill cattle? Maybe if the cattle are sick or injured, but I believe it is a rare occurence when one kills a healthy cow.

I have been reading about, hunting, and talking to coyote hunter's all my life. I have never heard the first hunter tell me he ran into a pack of adult coyote's. Tom.

Quick Reply: Do coyotes really kill calves?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.