Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best time to distress call???

Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Best time to distress call???

I was wondering what time of year is the best time for distress calls. I would think spring because coyotes have to find food for themselves and their pups but im not sure. Thanks for all comments. Ive never actually been told this ive just kinda guessed. I know its good to all year around but the best time is what im wondering.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Best time to distress call???

you answered your own question. It is good all the time. coyotes have to eat everyday. The type of distress will vary from season to season. Like spring is good for fawn distress or any others. By fall the fawn isn't as good
Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake I thought you killed 36 coyotes since Christmas? Why u asking questions if thats the truth?
Anyways to answer your question, the distress calls arent so great right now. Almost all the coyotes have played that game this year. The distress will be back to great around mid to late summer through December or so. (just my opinion)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost all the coyotes have played that game this year. The distress will be back to great around mid to late summer through December or so.
Late summer/early fall for two reasons. One listed above that states that most coyotes that are still alive in your calling area have played the game a time or two by now, and the second reason is, pups haven't been around the calling block at all, so they are usually easier to fool once they are on their own in late summer/early fall!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:50 PM

All times of the year is good. I have to give the nod to Janurary as being best. There is less food in the winter and the cold/snow makes them hungry and its before they get real concerned with breeding. Spring and summer there is tons of food around.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 PM

Actually fingerz42 me killin yotes has nothing to do with the question. I asked what time of year is best!! I know all the time it works i just wasnt sure of what the best time is.[>:] [8D]
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM

as was stated distress sounds work year round.
I do not believe coyotes have the ability to reason.That said any prey distress, anytime of year works .
I use puppy whines year round for both bobcats and coyotes.Even though there are no coyote pups in the dead of winter puppy whines are still very deadly during the winter months. In other words a coyote doesn't have the ability to think "hey there are no pups right now this must be a trick " they will come to investigate reguardless of the time of year!