Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Getting started trapping. What to use >

Getting started trapping. What to use

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Getting started trapping. What to use

Old 12-16-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Getting started trapping. What to use

Well i need something to do this winter, so I'm gonna put out a trap line. What's a good way to bait a cubby. I've heard deer meat, tuna fish, hanging a bird wing from a tree branch, rabbit. I'm completely green so any help would be great.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting started trapping. What to use

That all depends on what your making the cubby set for. For mink & fisher I just like to use Muskrat carcasses. For coon you can use a wide variety of things being they are curious animals. I've used fish meat, some real smelly thats been around awhile, Sardines also work well, even corn, apples. You can butterup the food products with honey or molasses.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

This is my first year trapping, but I've been really lucky with raccoon cubby sets, I use sardines ($0.55 at the Dollar General) mixed with maple syrup. It makes a nice sticky mess that they seem to like. I have also had luck kicking a hole in the creek bank and setting below the hole, same concept as a cubby without the rocks, limbs ect. Kick the hole in 6 to 8 inches and put yor bait inside.Be sure thay can oly approach one way and set there.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 PM

Well I'm trying for bobcats primarily, but I'd like to use a bait that might also attract some weasels if they're in the area.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 AM

Why not use a dirthole or double dirthole? They are much faster and easier to set up than a cubby and work just as well if not better. If your trying for cats I've heard that they are attracted to movement, so try some feathers above the dirt hole.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

If I were you, I'd get some good trapping books that explain different types of sets and habits of the critters that you are wanting to trap. Hawbakers use to have a good one that covered about everything but I'm sure there's some other good ones too.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM

If you're going for bobcat - I would go with a dirthole set with a good fresh bait - cats don't like anything rotten - niether do most animals though - they will get drawn in by movement so what I like to do is above the hole in the dirt hole set I take a squirle tail and stick it in the dirt so it will flicker around in the wind - be carefull to shield the set from the air as good as possible though - up under a pine tree or something - this methode will attract hawks and other birds of prey to the set too. I will also look around after making the set and find a rise in terain close by like a big old ant hill or something and place a trap there too. Both bobcats and coyotes have a habit of getting up on these little rises to get a better view before commiting to comming into the set sometimes and this just gives you one more chance.

Good Luck - I have not even got out yet this year but am going to try and put out a line this comming weekend for coyote, fox, and coon - maybe a few water sets if I have time.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would order FUR FISH AND GAME magazine if i were you.Allong with trapping alot.and buying the best equipment,You cant afford to keep rebuying cheep junk.It will take a while,and you will learn new tricks till the day you quit.