Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

crossbow for coyotes..MMMM?

Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default crossbow for coyotes..MMMM?

anyone use a crossbow for yotes?

season starts oct. 1 in new york
i want to hunt them but don't want to spook the deer to much by using a gun
am trying to rig up my recurve with a laser dot but that is becoming to hard to shoot instictive and then go to concentrating on a little red dot bouncing all over the place

whats everyones take on crossbows?
distances?
how do they handle?
accuracy?

Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: crossbow for coyotes..MMMM?

Better check your game laws , crossbows are very unpopular in NY state . I looked at the regs once and the restrictions on them are nothing short of ridiculous . If I read them right you'd practically have to be a paraplegic using a mouth blown triggering device just to be allowed to use one .

If you get to use one I'd advise practicing with it well before you think of hunting with it just like any other bow . It has many of the same limitations such as range , which is about 40 yards max , but the bolts drop faster than arrows . I don't personally shoot past 30 yards , and I've had bolts drop 8" between 20-30 yards . They're heavier than most vert bows , and can be cumbersome as a result , though no more than a comparable weight rifle or shotgun . Undergrowth can be a problem due to the horizontal limbs , but they adapt well to hunting from pop-up type blinds . A cocking device is reccomended if only to ensure that the string stays centered during the draw , an uncentered string will result in a wild shot and can be hazardous . NEVER DRY FIRE A CROSSBOW ! The only safe way to download one is to fire the bolt into something that will trap it , the ground if necessary . Do not think that you can remove the bolt and just "let it down by hand" , this can cost you some fingers . Check all fasteners on the crossbow before use , don't assume that they've stayed tight after practicing . Remove the string on recurve models after use so the limbs can relax .

Anything else you may want to know can be found at the crossbow forum , you'll find them to be a very helpful and informative group .
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crossbow for coyotes..MMMM?

jimmy the foot...in the butt..xbow is legal only for disabled hunters in NY. You must possess a valid Handicapped Archer Permit
I'd try to hunt yotes in a different area......miles away from where I hunt deer..NY bow season for whitetail is this Sat. oct. 14.???....To hell with them yotes less your a eatin em... Dont stink up the area and miss out on a big buck.