Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

field dressing

Old 10-23-2002, 07:29 PM

Default field dressing

Does anyone know a website or a quick method to field dress a squirrel. And what is the best recipe you know of
Old 10-24-2002, 06:55 PM

Default RE: field dressing

This is my method of cleaning a squirrel.

In the early months of squirrel season, I always gut the squirrel when I shoot it or just before I leave. This is just one less thing to worry about when you get home to clean the squirrel(s).

Step 1: Cut the head, feet, hands, and tail off.
Step 2: Make a slit across the back from lower shoulder to lower shoulder. Not length wise of the squirrel. Then take your fingers and pry the skin away, use your fingers in tight places like around the arms to peel the skin off. Make sure you wear a latex powder free glove. This makes sure hardly any hair will be on the meat. It also doesn't stick to your gloves like it would with your bare hands and blood on it. Plus it's more sanitary. You don't want to be transfering your blood with the squirrels do you or vise versa? That's what I thought. Don't worry about other people saying things about you cleaning them with gloves.
Step 3: Take your knife and cut length wise of the squirrel from lower neck bone to the tail bone. With your gloves still on, remove entrails.
Step 4: Around the tail bone, cut an upside down U <----- ( Picture this U upside down ) to remove the rest of the intestines and butt hole of the squirrel.Everything inside of the U, cut it out. You don't want to eat squirrel butt do ya? Me neither.
Step 5: Wash any excess debris off the squirrel with water.
Step 6: Let it marinate in your favorite marinade all night.
Step 6: Let simmer all day to tenderize the squirrel.
Step 6: Bake, Fry, Deep Fry, Grill or which ever way you cook it.
Step 7: FEED YOUR FACE!!!!!!
This usually takes me a couple minutes on a gray squirrel and a couple minutes longer on the fox squirrel mainly because they are bigger and tougher.