Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ideal squirrel hunting conditions?

Old 10-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ideal squirrel hunting conditions?

What are some ideal squirrel hunting conditions? I've been squirrel hunting for about 16 years now and have never gotten more then 3 on any given day. And that's a dawn to dusk day. Hard hunting with nothing to show for it. Usually only see one or two (which I get). I've hunted in all conditions and never see them unless I'm deer hunting. Then I see 50 at a time. I really want to get some squirrel hunting done this year and have gone out once so far, saw nothing. HELP!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Default RE: Ideal squirrel hunting conditions?

i seem to have the best luck just after sun-up. first two hours with calm windsseem to be the best. i just tend to walk and listen for them barking or running on the ground. if you find one just relax a bit there are usually more in the same area. the slower you go the more you will see.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I like early in the season when the leaves are still on the trees. Very easy to spot them moving in the upper limbs. A great time is just after a rainfall. Wind tends to calm down and you can hear the water coming off the leaves when they jump from tree to tree.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 AM

I like early morning when most of the leaves have fallen off the trees. I hunt in some pretty thick brush so when its still green it makes it difficult to get a shot off. Where I'm at there are tons of the little guys.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:06 AM

I'd say just about any time other than when its windy, rainy, or dark. of course the problem may not be the conditions, maybe its just the location. What i did to find a good squirrel spot was to call the local DNR and ask where there were large concentrated oak groves and i'd set out from there.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely early morning or around dusk. I usually stay still as possible till i hear their nails against the tree or hear them jumping around. Typically once you find a decent area you can harvest quite a few. I also try to use the quietest weapon possible - I find that they stay out if you don't make too much noise.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:36 PM

It seems to me that if you are seeing more during deer hunting then you may want to sit in one productive area as opposed to roaming around. As for conditions I prefer a wet morning, so you can hear them jumping from tree to tree.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

man, i hear you i got the same problem, i see em most when i got a bow in my hands on stand. I think i'm just gonna get in the stand with a 22 next squirrel hunt.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:47 PM

The best conditions IMO is when it just rained the night before or in the afternoon. It easy to hear the squirrels jumping around. Also if you are seeing squirrels while deer hunting, do everything you do deer hunting. Sit stil dont move. You guys must not have an abundant population cause i usually see 2-3 squirrels in a single tree when im out hunting.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 AM

2 of the best ways i know is to either pick a spot where you know there at and sit there untill you see them but dont shoot the first one let a good bit come out and show themselves so you know where a couple are at then start taken them...Or walk down like a fire break or a road so you can be quite and make sure there is a good food sorce around. I shot 8 this past weekend doin this and could have shot more but didnt want to take to many out of the population at one time.lol

Quick Reply: Ideal squirrel hunting conditions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.