Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks >

Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Old 12-25-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

I have always shot for lungs and heart on deer. I have seen on t.v. people dropping deer in their tracks. So where is the best place to shoot for this, spine? neck? somewhere esle? Could you tell me where to aim and maybe show a picture of where to aim. I not saying I am going to do this just wondering where people shoot the deer to do this.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Default RE: Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

I've always liked a high shoulder (or as some call it, point-of-the shoulder) shots to drop a deer. I honestly don't ever recall one getting up and running after the shot.

This particular shot, while often breaking both front shoulders, I suspect also brings the spinal column into play and that's why the knock-down power seems so great. The animal, though still alive when it hits the ground, is usually so shocked that it bleeds to death before it can regain its feet. JMHO.

Unfortunately, this shot also destroys some shoulder meat, and may even ruin some backstrap if the bullet shatters.

I've also killed deer in their tracks with a shot at the base of the neck (where it merges with the shoulders) but do not advise this shot unless one is comfortable that he can make it.

Lung shots, while deadly, often allow the animal to run before his lungs fill with blood and he finally drops. Unfortunately, with a white-tail being able to cover 100 yds in less than about 4 seconds, you'll be faced with tracking the animal. Not a problem in some places, but one heck of a task in others.

El Gringo
Old 12-25-2004, 06:05 PM

My favorite shot is the shoulder shot. Not behind the shoulder, but right through the shoulder blade itself. This shot does several things. For one, it helps the bullet to expand and deliver the required energy to actually knock the deer down. Number 2, it allows for a large margin of error either heart or lungs. Number 3, the bone fragments actually act as projectiles penetrating the heart and lungs.

I like to line the botton reticle of the cross hairs up with the front leg of the deer and aim about mid-shoulder. I've never had a deer run off when this shot is properly placed.

I rarely if ever shoot free-handed over 100 yards. I prefer to rest the forearm of the rifle on the rail of my stand or shoot from a bipod from a prone position.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:39 PM

If I am within 50 yards I go for the heart. Most of my heart shots have droped them in 20-30 feet. they usually get a good hop or to then drop. To locate the heart I follow the back side of one of the front legs up 1/4 of the height of the chest.

Beyond 100 yards I go for the lungs. It will do the job but they will run a bit.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:29 PM

the neck they juss tipp over
Old 12-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Base of the neck. They drop like a stone.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:07 PM

Id say high shoulder or point of shoulder like someone said. Yes it does ruin a little meat, but if your in an area where it may be hard to track, or if it is almost dark, Ill take them right in line with the front legs, but about 1/4th of the way down from the top of the back. The spine of a deer lies about 4 inches below the top line of the back, so this shot will take out the spine, along with the top of the lungs also. They never move, they drop like a rock, even if your are using a smaller caliber like a 243.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

This shot does several things. For one, it helps the bullet to expand and deliver the required energy to actually knock the deer down. Number 2, it allows for a large margin of error either heart or lungs. Number 3, the bone fragments actually act as projectiles penetrating the heart and lungs.
It also ruins a lot of shoulder meat.Very few bullets actually need to strike bone to expand properly.

I find that when rapidly expanding bullets such as ballistic tips or sst's are used at very high velocity, the majority of the deer that are shot drop on the spot or within a few yards even when lung shots are used.Not one of the 40 or so game animals that I have taken with ballistic tips at very high velocity have covered 50 yards after being shot.This includes 8 elk and 2 moose.Almost all shots were lung shots but a few did strike shoulders.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Typical Buck

Neck shot flattens em like they just got bulldozed...Truely awesome
Old 12-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good old boiler room and a cannon. 10 gauge sluger does the job. and I use a 200Lb crossbow with mechanical spitfires at 25 yards and under only. pass thrus and half dollar sized exit holes with lungs hanging out.

Quick Reply: Shot placement for dropping deer in thier tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.