Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How to choose the right arrow & tip? >

How to choose the right arrow & tip?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to choose the right arrow & tip?

Old 08-27-2004, 08:52 PM

Default How to choose the right arrow & tip?

Hello out there im new to bow hunting but i can hit a 2 inch hole at 30 yds. What i would like to know is how to choose the right arrow & broadhead including grain for turkey.my draw wt is 55lbs & lenth is 29 inches. Sure could use the help. P.S. how cum i can't get in the chat room?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:03 PM

Default RE: How to choose the right arrow & tip?

Welcome to the board. You may have to download JAVA.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:36 PM

What i would like to know is how to choose the right arrow & broadhead including grain for turkey.
A Turkey when wounded may fly instead of run &, while on its last legs may crawl in or under brush.

So do not wound it, use a wide slender broad head and shoot at the neck or head only, & most hits there will bring it down: and a nick there will not usually trouble it that much.

The for sure kill zone there is about as big as anywhere on the turkey.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The head and neck are good targets, if you can get a turkey that will cooperate and hold his head and neck still while you aim and shoot. Another option is to use a big mechanical broadhead and shoot at his wing butt. Nock out his flight capability and lay his tail on the ground.

You don't have the power to use mechanicals on deer, of course, but we're talking turkey here. You WANT limited penetration and maximum shock in turkey hunting, so a wide cutting, 3-blade mech fits the bill perfectly.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:04 AM

How much KE do you need to use a mechanical on turkey?
Old 08-28-2004, 12:25 PM

What i would like to know is how to choose the right arrow & broadhead including grain for turkey.my draw wt is 55lbs & lenth is 29 inches.
It appears you have about ±60 # of energy which is plenty.

The main point is the killing zone is not large on a turkey & it is not good to wound the animals: hunters have all the problems they need, in this day and age. When you shoot at the head or the neck & miss 2” (which is possible in some hunting conditions) there will be no wounded animals: thus you may have another chance to shoot at it tomorrows.

You can buy a turkey broad head that has a very large dia & very slender blades. Some of them will shoot good to 40+ yds. Do not use red fletching, the red will shock a turkey more than the red check, will shock you on a test paper.

You will draw your bow when the turkeys head is out of sight because they see 360, so you need the bow weight & letoff as such as you can hold it for some time.

& as stated above do not expect the head or neck to stay frozen in time.

Some people will tell you not to anticipate a shot, but some shoot well that way. You may want to practice it because with turkey it can be convenient.