Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Info on Buckrun PLWA in WA >

Info on Buckrun PLWA in WA

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Info on Buckrun PLWA in WA

Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Info on Buckrun PLWA in WA

My son and I drew permits for the PLWA area called Buckrun over near Stratford. They manage the area for trophy muledeer, and our permits are for sub-trophy -any deer up to 3pt max on any one side so 3x4, etc. would be legal. The area is tightly regulated, and we won't be allowed on until the day of our hunt.

Anyone been there or know anything about the area?

Any info. would be appreciated.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:53 PM

Default RE: Info on Buckrun PLWA in WA

You are in for a terrific hunt in beautiful country, if you like broken rimrock, arroyos, sagebrush, and cheatgrass. I do. My son had a couple hunts there when he was under 15 years. Got his first deer there.

We met the rancher (it was his son or son-in-law) in the town of Wilson Creek at 7am. They ******ed us to a hunt area and we were on our own from there. I think he said they have shy of 30,000 acres, about half of that owned and the rest in leases, so you won't see any other hunters about. Plenty of deer and a well managed herd and property. Should be a nice, quality experience for you and your son. PM me if you would like more details.

Wilson Creek is about 20 minutes from Ephrata, which is a good town to get a motel room the night before, or they have a real nice park on the way into Ephrata with tent and full hook-up camping available. Good luck and enjoy!

Tony
Old 08-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

What are the size of the deer out there, are there 25-30 inch bucks. I was just looking this hunt up in the regs. looks like they have 70 any deer tags and 2 raffle tags. Think ill call the guy and see what its about.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:11 PM

Thanks troberto; I pm'ed you!

kirkl,

From what I've heard they have some real bruisers. I'll post a report on what kind of bucks we run into. A guy from the wdfw told me they had 2 - 1/2 year old deer with 30"? Must be feeding 'em some good vitamin supplements. He said he was going to hunt there himself ater seeing some of the bucks. Last I heard access fee was about $3Gs.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

3G's, guess I wont be hunting it then, ill just buy a couple raffle tickets since they have two to give away. wonder if they make you pay 3g even if you win a raffle ticket. Hopefully youll find some 26 inch 3pts.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Myself and a few friends toured the place when the owner was just getting started. Saw alot of nice bucks and yes you will see some 30" class bucks there but this is a trouphy hunt area for those size bucks and you will pay $3k or more.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:33 AM

Its 6K for trophy and 1k for "managment deer"
Old 08-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

So your gonna pay no matter what if you want to hunt his land. Think ill still check out the raffle tickets. See how much they are. Probably a grand for one ticket.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:51 AM

I don't think you pay for the raffle with the kid 1279 Buck Run A but im not shure.
RyanH