Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for Elk?????? >

Best 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for Elk??????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for Elk??????

Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Best 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for Elk??????

I am heading out to Wyoming this fall and I will be taking a 7mm Rem. Mag. I trying to figure out what factory cartridge to use and I am looking for some help. I am looking at Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions and the new Remington 160 grain core-lokt ultra. Any other suggestions are welcome. What do you think?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Default RE: Best 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for Elk??????

I would suggest sticking with the Federal partiton. It's a good load, and a proven bullet. You might want to play with the Trophy bond of the same load, or even the Winchester Fail Safe. But the FS's are not the best fliers, and are a little expensive. While that partition has been killing things for a few decades anyways!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM
RDJ
Spike

Muzilla - for some strange reason my 7mm didn't like the 160 grain Nosler Partition from Federal. I found my accuracy was better with the plain ole Federal Classic 175 grain HI-SHOK. I really wanted to use the 160 NP's because I believe they will outperfom the Classic, but I didn't want to sacrafice the accuracy and have found the bullet performance adequate with the HI_SHOK. I have since discovered amazing accuracy with the Speer Nitrex 175 grain Grand Slam bullet. The accuracy has been the best yet. But......I shot both a bull elk and bull moose last year, both at 100 yards, both accurate shots, but was not impressed the performance. Both animals required follow up shots. Then again, the 3rd animal I harvested last year was a nice 4X4 muley at 400 yards. One shot dropped it. Go figure. I guess the jury is still out on the Grand Slam. Perhaps I'll give it one more try this year. Good Luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Federal 175 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzilla
I am heading out to Wyoming this fall and I will be taking a 7mm Rem. Mag. I trying to figure out what factory cartridge to use and I am looking for some help. I am looking at Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions and the new Remington 160 grain core-lokt ultra. Any other suggestions are welcome. What do you think?

Either would be sufficient. I am a Nosler shooter, but the new Corelokts are a quantum improvement over the old type, due to the bonded cores. Even the old style Corelokts are not bad bullets. For my next elk, I intend to use a Nosler Accubond.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:03 AM

hell ust use the remington corelock 175 grain 7mm rem mags theyare excellent. Ive dropped a dozen bear with them and about 20 deer. cant go wrong.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 AM

Accurate bullet placement should be your primary consideration, followed by use of the proper bullet for the game you are hunting. Get 2-3 different cartridge/bullet combinations to try. The one that shoots the best groups is the one you should hunt with. For example, some rifles shoot some cartridge/bullets great (say Federal Premium cartridges loaded with a 160gr Nosler Partition) while they won't group others (say Win Supreme loaded with a 160 gr Failsafe) worth a darn. You would be wise to see which cartridge/bullet your particular gun likes. Elk are taken every year with 7mags using 150 gr and up, so don't get hung upon the bullet weight. Accurate placement of a suitable bullet brings home the bacon every time.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM

brother hal hit the nail on the head. Doesn't matter what bullet you're using really, just find the one that shoots best in your rifle. I worked up a load using the 160 Partitionthat shot terrific in my Mag. But I also worked a load for the 150 and 160 Sierra's for deer. I found that the partitions, unless you're hitting a deer at long range, was punching through so I worked a recipe for the Sierras that shot good and hit hard at closer ranges.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start with the 160 parts. Another federal ammo to try would be the 160 Accubonds. I really like the failsafes as well. Like mentioned shoot the bullet your gun likes the best and as long as it is designed for the larger game like Elk you'll be just fine.

I don't favor remmington ammo, so can't comment on the ultra in the 7 rem mag. I did see a poor result in an 06 with 150 gr version last fall on wt buck that lends me to believe better choices are available in ammo.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Both of my 7mm mags like the heavier 175 bullets. I reload and tend to stray to the Horn. 175 gr bullets.

Just my thoughts though.
hunter338

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Best 7mm Rem Mag cartridge for Elk??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.