Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting Trip Insurance?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Trip Insurance?

I have a hunting trip to Canada planned for 2019. Any recommendations on who to get trip insurance from? So far, the ones I've looked at are very expensive...
Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are a member, the NRA is affiliated with a company that sells it. As for me, unless I was going on a safari of a life time to Africa that cost a fortune, I would not consider it. The fact that companies even sell hunting trip insurance tells you tat the odds are firmly on their side tey will not have to pay out because they do not have a huge pool of insured to mitigate their losses if they have to pay.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with OT on this. Insurance is a business designed to make money. When deciding on trip insurance I look at the odds of needing it vs the costs associated with it and then evaluate. It is kind of like gambling and the way I see it you are betting against yourself. I have bough trip insurance occasionally when the cost was minimal and the trip a year out but for the most part I normally don't buy it.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I looked into it a few times when I was hunting Africa pretty often. Decided it wasn't worth the cost and went without it. To each his or her own on things like this.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I think I'm going to forgo the insurance and take my chances as well.... So far I've not found much of anything under $1,000 to insure a $15,000 trip...way out of line.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most outfitters will honor your trip if you are paid in full and are willing to book at a later date so this is something you could always ask, and you can cash in plane tickets for later fights to the same location. This is why I never saw the need to pay the amount they want for trip insurance.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
I think I'm going to forgo the insurance and take my chances as well.... So far I've not found much of anything under $1,000 to insure a $15,000 trip...way out of line.
That seems a bit much to protect a 15K investment. I have a hard time believing a cheaper rate couldn't be found. I wouldn't pay a grand to protect 15K but that is me.

Edit...I will add age and physical condition is something to factor in. Spending 1K to protect 15K might make more sense to the average 70year old than a 30 something person or even someone in their 40's and 50's. My last Caribbean trip for Mrs. CI and myself was fairly expensive and was to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. I elected to buy trip insurance because we booked it about a year in advance. As flags mentioned airline fares can be re-booked but the majority of our costs were to the resort which was foreign based. At our age and the time to when the trip came up we elected to buy the insurance but it only amounted to a very small percentage of our costs certainly much less than a 1 to 15 ratio..

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-13-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'm still looking at different plans. Most plans are geared around people who fly do a destination. I'll be driving. I don't need insurance if a flight is cancelled, luggage is lost, etc. My biggest concern is if I were to have troubles with my truck along the way (breakdown, accident, etc.) and not be able to get to my destination on time or get there a few days late. Also, the trip I've planned isn't until Sept. 2019 and a lot can happen in a year and half. I'll be 68 by then and we all know that as we get older. things can happen. I'll be looking at other options and plans.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
I'm still looking at different plans. Most plans are geared around people who fly do a destination. I'll be driving. I don't need insurance if a flight is cancelled, luggage is lost, etc. My biggest concern is if I were to have troubles with my truck along the way (breakdown, accident, etc.) and not be able to get to my destination on time or get there a few days late. Also, the trip I've planned isn't until Sept. 2019 and a lot can happen in a year and half. I'll be 68 by then and we all know that as we get older. things can happen. I'll be looking at other options and plans.
Yes at 68 anything can happen to delay or cancel a trip so trip insurance is something to consider. When I was 68 last year we were planning a 2 week Alaska trip along with airfare. Things happened and the other couple we were planning to go with had to delay a year. It was a good thing because just about the time we were supposed to leave I had emergency heart bypass surgery. Had we continued with our plans Mrs CI and I would have had to cancel. It all worked out and we had a great trip this year.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-14-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

An option you may want to consider is insuring only a portion of your trip and "self insuring" the remainder. This is what I do on expensive overseas trips.

For example if you insure $10,000 of the $15,000 cost the fee should be about two thirds of the full quote.

Some of your cost may be recoverable if you have a problem but not all.