Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
What caliber? This is the end of it >

What caliber? This is the end of it

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What caliber? This is the end of it

Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

My late cousin was an NRA certified handgun instructor and ran training and qualification courses for the local PDs and civilians.
Some of the stories he would relate to me up at hunting camp simply left me flabbergasted. He even had a spat with one of the police chiefs because he refused to qualify a few of his officers. Some were so bad that he told me they would hit 3' in front of the target (on the floor) at 12 yards!
I personally witnessed the ineptness of a local officer a few years ago. I hit a deer with my car coming home at night. The next morning I called the game commission and got permission to get it. When I arrived the buck was still alive and I called the Twp police to come dispatch it for me. After trying to shoot it in the head 4 times from about 10 feet I was about tempted to ask him for his sidearm so I could kill the poor thing. But he finally hit it in the head on the next shot about 5' away.
As for chambering, I have no problem carrying a 9mm simply for concealment (M&P Shield) but I feel much better when toting my 40 S&W or .45 ACP.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

I don't like Glocks. They feel like a brick in my hand and I hate DA only systems. I tolerate DA/SA simply for the safety aspect of not having to carry with the hammer cocked. Just never could get that squirrelly feeling out of myself when holstering a chambered and cocked firearm. Got pretty good at cocking on the draw but the DA feature does allow for that instance of goofup. No shooter on this planet can be as accurate with a DA as they can be with an SA. That long and heavy trigger pull can and will effect barrel movement left or right. That little 1/8-1/16 inch movement of the barrel could very well mean a hit or a miss at 20 feet. I like to do my very best at eliminating as many possibilities of a miss out of the equation.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:15 AM
Spike

The only calibers I would use for self defense is 9mm and 45acp. For pistols at least.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Spike

RE: your avatar
One question: were your truck keys in your right pocket when you did this?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

No worries, he's ambidextrous now.

As for the OP linked article, the FBI is behind the curve this time. In my neck of the woods in CA, a lot of the bigger agencies are switching back to 9mm for several reasons. The 9mm has about half the chamber pressure so the pistols last longer, less muzzle climb so the pistols are easier to shoot (especially for marginal shooters) and premium ammo is performing almost at the same level of terminal performance as 40 S&W. The FBI switching ammo will convince a lot of agencies to switch also as the FBI does have a certain level of influence in this area.

I think OT mentioned how he's learned that different agencies have different qualification and training requirements. He's right. You would think something like that would be pretty standardized but it's not. I've worked in 2 agencies in my county so far and both of them require qualification for each quarter of the year (4 times per year). Most of the training cops receive is more tactical in nature but using good tactics can help prevent you from having to shoot or walking into an ambush.

In both agencies, some people were into guns and shot a lot while other people didn't own a gun and only shot their issued duty gun when they had to.

Like OT, I would say that making a blanket statement about LEO's shooting abilities is inaccurate and misleading. There are several dead criminals who would also say that unfortunately some of the cops can shoot very well.