Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
fishing pontoon boats >

fishing pontoon boats

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

fishing pontoon boats

Old 06-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default fishing pontoon boats

Hi,
Does anyone here ever use one? I am looking for a boat, about 18', for fishing. My wife wants a pontoon boat but I want
a fishing boat, then I saw a fishing pontoon boat. It sounds like the best of both worlds, but I know nothing about these boats.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bill
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Spike

It depends on how many times of the year you go out. I bought a lund fishing boat love it, its usually just me and a friend; however since my boy was born i only get to put it in the water about every other week. I've fished on my buddies pontoon but it was simple set a line out and chill. Will the wife come out everytime or do you think you would enjoy bringing the family to hangout? If its yes get the pontoon. How serious do you like to fish? In a pontoon you might not be able to get into tight spaces, and maybe hard to manuever while your casting. Not sure what kind of trolling motor you could install.Now that my family is growing, I am actually thinking about getting a pontoon next year. Goodluck with your decision, as they say happy wife, happy life.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just remember, a Pontoon boat was made for calm water and a V-hull or Semi V hull will take rough water much better than a pontoon boat. The water may not be rough when you launch, bit it does not take long to go from calm water to 3 foot or more waves if a weather front comes in and they can come in fast.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Pontoon boats don't trailer so well if you stick with the double round tube style. It isn't the boats so much as it is the trailer that can handle them.

I have seen some newer styles that look like super wide V hulls that load on a lower trailer and are set up like a normal tube type pontoon.

Again they will not handle any rough weather very well.

I would shop used so your not out a lot if it doesn't work out and you want to sell and get a decated fishing boat.

I can't party or grill on my 19' starcraft but I can take it out on Lake Huron & Big Bay DeNoc where the cabin is and handle some rough waves. It has 3 large live wells too.

Al
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

alleyyooper, that is some good info, as I will be trailering it alot.
Bill
Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much I like more than kicking my feet up on a pontoon boat and night fishing..Having said that I have a v bottom aluminum fishing boat myself. Several family members have pontoon boats and like I said I sure enjoy night fishing out of them. We tie up, put the lights in the water, throw the catfish rods out, and wait for the lights to draw the crappie in.

I love it when its 100 degrees during the day. We just go out at night when it cools off and load the boat with catfish and crappie.

Definitely not giving up my v bottom but when all the out of town family comes in this weekend for the 4th of July I will sure be glad we have access to several pontoon boats.

Buy a V bottom and make friends with people that have pontoons lol
Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Had a pontoon boat on a trailer go by me yesterday on the way to the lake down the road. Boy I bet those narrow track trailers are a joy to pull around a curvy road.

Here I think is what I would have for a pontoon.

Al