Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Are you using hog baits?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Spike

Default Are you using hog baits?

Do you know how to make DIY hog baits? My friends are going for a pig hunting trip next month and they tag me along. Thought i might become useful if i make them hog baits.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO: Best attractant for hogs is soured corn. Fill a five gallon bucket about 2/3rds full of corn, fill bucket with water to a couple inches from the top. Replace lid and set bucket in the sun until it really smells.

Put the soured corn in a feeder pan or open bucket and wait.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have tried all sorts of homemade baits and 3 commercial baits. I can't tell that any of them work in better than just plain old corn. I have done the souring, Big Red, jello, beer, diesel, and Kool-Aid etc.

The only thing I have not been able to try successfully is a pile of rotten watermelons and that is because I don't know any growers.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used soured corn, a 5gal bucket 2/3rds full, with some of the cheapest beer you can buy. A 6pk will work and I add about 4-6 pks of Kool-Aid, I like cherry for color and scent. Let stand in a closed bucket for a few days and pour it out at your site area. Has worked for us many times over.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soured corn, flavored corn, or rotten just about anything will attract hogs. BUT, if you give'em a choice, they'll go for fresh stuff first. The ageing, or adding diesel helps keep other animals away from your hog bait.

I've had some good luck burying corn, once even dry dog food, mixed with chocolate or strawberry syrup in a hole. The hogs wore it out.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have hunted hogs for about 8 years and we have never used anything but corn from a timed feeder to attract them before the gun. I am sure there are other things that work and I have read about all kinds of concoctions, however, sometimes the simplest way is as good as anything else.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

We once added yeast to corn and let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket. We even used the hog wild stuff a few times. I couldn't tell you if it made a difference or not. The plan corn on the feeders worked well. We always had hogs in Texas. Good luck
Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

The only advantage of soured corn over plain corn is that most other animals won't eat it. I think hogs prefer plain corn, but everything in the forest eats plain corn so it's not unusual that the raccoons and deer clean it up before the hogs even find it. If you've got a feeder, the hogs will eventually show up.
There's no magical bait that makes hogs appear. If you haven't baited an area in advance, there's nothing you can do that will assure you of seeing hogs the day/night you arrive.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Spike

I use a mixture to sour corn...
Old 07-07-2017, 06:28 AM
Spike

Default Best Hog Hunting Bait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.