Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Grouse or Quail Hunting near Portland, OR >

Grouse or Quail Hunting near Portland, OR

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Grouse or Quail Hunting near Portland, OR

Old 10-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Grouse or Quail Hunting near Portland, OR

I' m interested in getting my dog into some grouse (ruffed or blue) or possibly mountain quail. I know there are some areas in the Mt. Hood National Forest not far from Portland, but would sure like to get an idea of where to start. Any other locations within a 2 hour drive would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:09 PM

Default RE: Grouse or Quail Hunting near Portland, OR

You might try up around Sweet Home. There is some likely looking Blue grouse cover up there. For mountain Quail, you better have a good dog that is super athletic. They have to be able to get up cliffs and ledges. I use a Springer, but an athletic pointer or a retriever that is not out of shape can do it as well. I also use a Lab, but she specializes in retrieving, while my Springer flushes them. If you are willing to travel a few more miles, I can show you some places in the Willamette National Forest.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. Is the area around Sweet Home national forest? I have a very athletic young lab, but he' s not had a lot of experience with grouse which is why I want to get him into some birdy areas. I' d definately be willing to travel a little further for some good hunting areas. How far from PDX is it?
Old 10-04-2003, 11:46 PM

There is some National Forest land near Sweethome that will hold ruffed and blue grouse. I am not sure about Mountain Quail, but believe you will find them there as well. Sweethome is about 1 1/2 hour from PDX, maybe just a little longer. The areas I know in the Willamette national forest are about 2.5 hrs. from PDX.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Matriarch Doe!

The areas around Sweet Home do have very good numbers of both grouse and Mountain Quail this year. Like Big Lead says though, it is very brushy and steep in most places. But lots of birds and lots of fun!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. Found some decent locations around Oakridge, but as you said, very brushy. Lots of birds though!! I' d like to find some locations in the Mt. Hood National forest as it is a little closer to home. I think I will do some scouting.