Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What scope mount is this? Is it for a Greyhawk? >

What scope mount is this? Is it for a Greyhawk?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What scope mount is this? Is it for a Greyhawk?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default What scope mount is this? Is it for a Greyhawk?

Does anyone know which scope mount this is? The tag says it's for a T/C Greyhawk, but I don't see anyway it would mount to one since they aren't drilled and tapped. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Does anyone know what it's worth? A buddy bought a bunch of gun stuff at an auction and this was with it. He asked me to try to sell it online for him.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that base is designed to replace the rear sight, but it looks like it's made for an octagonal barrel (flat).
The greyhawk is a round barrel.

What is the width of the base where it attaches to the barrel?
It may fit the T/C octagon barrels (Hawken, Renegade, etc).
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

It looks like it is for an octagonal barrel. A Greyhawk has a round barrel. Also all Renegades, .54 Hawkens, .54 White Mountain Carbines, .58 Big Boars, all are 1" across the flats. .45, and .50 Hawkens, .50 White Mountain Carbines, are 15/16" across the flats. You need to know which size octagonal barrel this sight fits.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably a duo ring set up. it was ment to be screwed onto a removable base so it just might be for a greyhawk-new englander.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys, I haven't had time to measure it yet. I will try to get measurements this afternoon and get back to you all.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, on the bottom the width on the inside is .714", and from the outside to outside is .9025". The length is 2.645".

If there is anything else I should measure just let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

if its a duo ring mount it needs 2 other parts for it to work on a grey hawk. you need a part called the base adapter and then you need the actual base. i believe the greyhawk version came in a stainless finish. the one you have is probably for a new englander but the part you have may have worked on a bunch of models with the proper base and base adapter.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Spike

Default scope mount

I believe you need TC base adapter#9992 & rings #9827 for the gray hawk. I have a gray hawk I purchased in 1996 and I used that base adapter & rings for my set up. That # is a "silver base". I believe the rings you show are not for a gray hawk beings they look blue instead of silver. Might be for a renegade?

Last edited by Daneowner; 01-27-2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: better info?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

heres a set on ebay so you can see all 3 pieces from a removable set up. the one you have would just screw into a base. http://www.ebay.com/itm/THOMPSON-CEN...item4ab35cfbec
Old 01-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting older and my memory is far from perfect, but I believe many years ago T/C offered the Duo Ring base for forward mounting a long eye relief scope on sidelock muzzleloaders. It sure looks to me like that is what is pictured. The holes should match the hole pattern in the T/C adjustable rear sights (unfortunately I can't find a spare sight in my parts collection to measure). You removed the adjustable rear sight and installed the base in it's place.

Yes, T/C also made the Duo Rings for mounting on other models (Contender. etc.) and different configuration (quick release like the eBay link), but I'm fairly sure the one you posted is the old rear sight replacement model for an octagonal barrel.

Actually, the forward mount just might be advantageous to me these days. It would keep the scope away from the blowback at the breech, and offer the ability to mount a scope so I could see the sight and target at the same time!