Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What is the best ATV on the market? And why? >

What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Old 09-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Actually the hondas with real automatic transmissions don' t burn noticeably more fuel than comparable models with manual transmissions.On the other hand belt drives are less fuel efficient.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

where' s the fun at in independent suspension? Your' re on a fourwheeler, not a luxury automobile!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually suzuki was the first atv with independant suspension and yamaha offered the first belt drive with engine braking.As far as trail riding I prefer independant suspension for it' s smooth ride.For hauling heavy loads on the racks though a solid rear axle offers more stability.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:23 PM

lets say you have a pretty good budget to use....

I would highly recomend the Grizzly 660. 4x4, four wheel indipendant suspention, front differential locks, lots of rack and cargo room, very powerful and built around the needs of hunters, farmers and the best of the trail blazers.

Not to mention the huge gas capacity for very long hauls or hunting trips.

This is a ATV that hauls butt, and hauls a ton of weight. It will get you to just about any where you need to go and if you really know how to handel a Quad of this caliper, you got it made.

Also, the number of additions and add ons is unlimited, put a good warn winch in the front of this monster and you can get you any deer or get throgh and mud hole.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

stubble jumper,

independent suspension- not many quads have this feature now. Just because a 4 wheeler has 2 shocks on the rear does not mean it independent suspension. Any quad with a straight axle in the rear is Not independent.

I have a older model King Quad and it keeps all 4 tires on the ground and that sometimes makes a big difference. I was looking at a new Vinson but I' m not ready to give up the great suspension of my king quad.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: DS650-FOX

I am the ATV king of Arizona !!
oh mighty one

I can tell you about any ATV and Dirt Bike. Since we are talking about Utility quads, my first advice is no Polaris. A Polaris bike is for the lazy people that want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a brokedown tranny. I have nothing against Polaris, but I know many shop owners and mechanics that have a lot of Polaris' s in the shop frequently. They are a gas-and-go quad. Any quad with an Automatic transmission will burn 1-2x as much gas.
Where is your proof(or is this just another opinion) and what makes you an expert. Why does owning a Polaris make a person lazy, seems like if they break down it would be just the oposite they would have to do alot more walking.

Depending on your weight, riding ability, and price range you can make the selection. We have a 1997 Honda Recon 250 2wd that has brought out more animals and people than than you can imagine. About 4500 miles, and still running strong. The lighter and smaller the ATV, the easier to control and steer. 4WD models are much harder to control and maintain. My family members have the Yamaha Grizzly 660 and the Honda Rincon 650. The rear independent suspension is a great feature but $$$ is a big factor. If you are getting a 400cc or less, get a Honda. 400cc +, get a Yamaha. Yamaha has created a great Transmission but lacks tires.
The tires on all yamaha' s need to be replaced. They put cheap 2-ply on them usually. Get a quad that is easy to maintain, but will hold up for a long time in the roughest conditions. Just change your oil and you will be fine!!!
Sounds to me that you are kid (maybe I' m wrong) Your position on polaris just proves once again " My friends, brothers, sisters, friend, owns a polaris and it is junk. No actual proof and only hear say garbage. Sorry to sound harsh, but you guys that knock Polaris all say the same thing The shop this, my brothers friend etc... NO PROOF. I own a Polaris, had it over 10 years abused the he!! out of it and it still is going strong. Changed the belt once only because I wanted to (nothing wrong with the old one). A bunch of my friends own Polaris and love them, no problems. I' ve driven and owned, su-sucky yama-hahahaha and hondas. I will always swear by Polaris, Honda would take a close 2nd. One more thing hondas automatic is not a true automatic it is shifted by an electric motor. The transmission itself is still standard, take a look.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Spike

SUZUKI!! yeah lol mine is 14 yrs old but its still great, has gotten me to camp quite a few times, can haul a deer no problem, and I' ve never had any major problems with it. I like all the gear combinations there are, and heaven forbid u get stuck but you won' t stay stuck for long with it. I really don' t like automatics - it makes them easier for women to drive haha I prefer semi-auto because it gives you more control. My second choice would definitely be Honda

useless information > Polaris & Suzuki use the same carbs.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whether a transmission is shifted by hydraulic pressure or an electric servo it still shifts itself and is therefore an automatic transmission.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:41 AM

Stubblejumber all Honda did was hook an electric motor to there old trans it is a semi auto it still has to be shifted. There for it may seem automatic to the driver but in reality it is not. It would be like putting a midget under the hood of your standard shift pickup truck, for the driver it would seem auto, but the midget would still be shifting the gears. Polaris, and some Yamaha' s automatic works the same as a snowmobile. As the engine turns faster it causes the belt to move(turning and changing shape) which makes the machine seem to go to a higher gear, this is a true auto. If Honda could develope a transmission that would do all the shifting inside(the trans) like a car that would be a big deal. No one can do this yet because of weight.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Model 722-I believe you are talking about the electric shifted rancher and foreman 450 where the rider has to push a button to shift gears.That is not what I or others are referring to.We are referring to the rubicon which is placed in gear then automatically shifts itself through an infinite number of ratios as conditions require.The operator does nothing but operate the throttle and brakes and steer.In the case of the rincon it has a three speed automatic transmission like an automoblile which shifts itself automatically as conditions change.Polaris may not have been able to accomplish this " big deal" as you call it but honda has.As far as weight is concerned both the rubicon and rincon are 140lbs lighter than the polaris 600 and 700.Perhaps you should have made the effort to actually check up on hondas real automatic transmissions before spouting off in your last post.You put yourself in the position of looking quite foolish by making those statements obviously without knowing what you were talking about.

Quick Reply: What is the best ATV on the market? And why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.