Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Zeiss over Leupold?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last person I'd consult would be a professional hunter. Most are walking commercials for anyone who'll sponsor them. Many who aren't have other employment during the off-season. As well, big differences between a guide on fenced land and one who guides on public land. I'm the one who'll use the scope, i want what's going to work best for me.

Much depends upon price point. While it might seem like a $1200 scope must be at the top of the heap to some, one can easily spend twice that, sometimes three times that, on a scope. As has been mentioned before, the Zeiss Conquest isn't as good as their military-grade glass. it's simply a cheaper line meant to compete in the consumer market against products like the VX-3. Put a Conquest up against a Schmidt & Bender, Hensoldt, USO, Horus, or even a Nightforce or Leupold Mark 4 and there's really nothing special about it but the lowest price in the bunch.

You do get what you pay for, and beauty (performance) is in the eye of the beholder. you really owe it to yourself to physically compare the glass you're considering. That's often a problem if you're having to buy online or from a catalog. JMO - for general use, the Leupold VX-3s and similar scopes in that price point from other manufacturers will handle all but the most extreme conditions, and it's unlikely you'll see or experience any benefit from "better glass" if you're using it for just a couple of weeks a year. There's no way I'd buy a Conquest and get halfway to the next level of performance i could get with a Nightforce or Mark 4 for only a couple hundred bucks more.

Last edited by homers brother; 01-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TreednNC
ANYWAY. Zeiss it will probably be for me. Just not sure what power and objective. It'll ride a M77 MKII 7mm Rem mag
IMO you are making a good choice. I'm sure the VX3's are great scopes but I surely would not sell my Conquest to go buy one. I still hunt with an old Leupold Vari-Xii so I am not Leupold bashing here.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
The last person I'd consult would be a professional hunter. Most are walking commercials for anyone who'll sponsor them. Many who aren't have other employment during the off-season. As well, big differences between a guide on fenced land and one who guides on public land. I'm the one who'll use the scope, i want what's going to work best for me.

Much depends upon price point. While it might seem like a $1200 scope must be at the top of the heap to some, one can easily spend twice that, sometimes three times that, on a scope. As has been bentioned before, the Zeiss Conquest isn't as good as their military-grade glass. it's simply a cheaper line meant to compete in the consumer market against products like the VX-3. Put a Conquest up against a Schmidt & Bender, Hensoldt, USO, Horus, or even a Nightforce or Leupold Mark 4 and there's really nothing special about it but the lowest price in the bunch.

You do get what you pay for, and beauty (performance) is in the eye of the beholder. you really owe it to yourself to physically compare the glass you're considering. That's often a problem if you're having to buy online or from a catalog. JMO - for general use, the Leupold VX-3s and similar scopes in that price point from other manufacturers will handle all but the most extreme conditions, and it's unlikely you'll see or experience any benefit from "better glass" if you're using it for just a couple of weeks a year. There's no way I'd buy a Conquest and get halfway to the next level of performance i could get with a Nightforce or Mark 4 for only a couple hundred bucks more.
+1. I just prefer better scopes...period.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=homers brother;3751359]The last person I'd consult would be a professional hunter. Most are walking commercials for anyone who'll sponsor them. As well, big differences between a guide on fenced land and one who guides on public land.

I dont know any professional hunters that are sponsered by anyone, yeah their are a few that are on t.v., but the ones that are out there working for a living and dont have a t.v. show are deffinitly not being paid by anyone but there client. As far as guides that guide on fenced land, dont know any of those either, I can give names and numbers to dozens of guides and outfitters here and all over the country that do it on public land. No fence hunting, they do it the hard way, same as I do, I never have nor will I ever hunt behind a fenced game ranch. I dont use guides, I have been quiet sucsessful hunting the National Forrests here in Idaho, and have several trophy deer (one, Boone & Crocket and couple that almost makes it, Several Pope and Young), elk (several 300-350 class bulls) and bear (several Pope and Young) that I can be very proud of. NONE KILLED BEHIND A FENCE, beleive it or not, some people just know how to hunt and dont have to buy there trophies. But if you are looking for a guided hunt on public land let me know, I am in the process of getting my guide license.
Here is where I hunt, PURE WILDERNESS!!! no high fences or game ranches here, hell there isnt even any roads.

Last edited by fritz1; 01-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

The only problem with the conquest is I can't see any discernible difference in the store between the two (obviously twilight conditions might tell the difference), and Id have to spend about $200 more to get what I want in power/objective in the Conquest as I would the Leupold. The only thing about the Leupold was how easy it "went up". I had to have the Conquest just right to get a clear sight picture and eye relief. The leupold just seemed more forgiving. I may be making a mistake, and asking for more power and objective than I need, but it's there if I want it. I'm putting it on 7mag and probably wont carry it unless a 250-300 shot is warranted, and will be my "out west" gun. I'm probably in the minority, but a deer sized animal isn't that big at 300yd even on 9X.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "bigger is always better" person, heck, I didnt even "want" the 7mag, but the condition of the gun was just too good to turn down in a trade.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only problem with the conquest is I can't see any discernible difference in the store between the two (obviously twilight conditions might tell the difference), and Id have to spend about $200 more to get what I want in power/objective in the Conquest as I would the Leupold. The only thing about the Leupold was how easy it "went up". I had to have the Conquest just right to get a clear sight picture and eye relief. The leupold just seemed more forgiving. I may be making a mistake, and asking for more power and objective than I need, but it's there if I want it. I'm putting it on 7mag and probably wont carry it unless a 250-300 shot is warranted, and will be my "out west" gun. I'm probably in the minority, but a deer sized animal isn't that big at 300yd even on 9X.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "bigger is always better" person, heck, I didnt even "want" the 7mag, but the condition of the gun was just too good to turn down in a trade.
The Leupolds do have better eye relief than most scopes on the market, including Swarovski, Ziess, and Nikon, actually I am not aware of any scope that has better eye relief than Leupold.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like I have lived about half of my life in elk camps, and most of the experienced hunters use Leupold scopes, with Swarovski making a strong showing. I can remember a couple of guys with Zeiss scopes, but not the version that is made for the American market.

I have been in Africa a few times and it is reversed there. Lots of Swarovski scopes with Leupold making a strong showing. Reliability is most important.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 01-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

If I had 2k make no mistake, a swarovski would be on it, and if I had that money I'd just have bought a remington 700cdl to go below it lol. Who knows, I may turn into a ruger snob now haha.

I think I may go with the 4x14x50 vx3. Any downside to having the extra power?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last few minutes/first few minutes of the day is where that Zeiss will outperform the VX3. As I said, I don't have a VX3 to directly compare it to but my hunting partner does. He likes the Zeiss. I do agree with you on how easy a Leupold comes up to the eye. IMO it is one of their bests traits.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I may go with the 4x14x50 vx3. Any downside to having the extra power?
My favorite elk rifle has a 4.5x14x40 on it. The extra power is appreciated. The only downside for the type of shot that you have previously mentioned is extra scope size and cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.