Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How Far Will a 240gr Bullet Travel Out Of a MLer? >

How Far Will a 240gr Bullet Travel Out Of a MLer?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Far Will a 240gr Bullet Travel Out Of a MLer?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How Far Will a 240gr Bullet Travel Out Of a MLer?

I've been meaning to ask this question for awhile now and keep forgetting to. How far (Guestimate) shot from a MLer will a 240gr, 250gr Bullet Travel, Say using 100gr's of Powder?
I Hunt a few Corn and Soybean Fields that are a Mile Long and Longer, bordered by Woods. My Buddy say's if you Miss a Deer standing in the Field the Bullet will go as fas as the Woods on the other side (a mile) I say No, it will drop into the Field befor it ever gets that far, who's right? Also after about what distance the Bullet travels does it's effectiveness become unharmful. Im thinking you need at least 800ft lbs of energy (the least) to Harvest a Deer, after what distance (yds) does the FT Lbs get so low that it's too low. Use the 250gr Bullet and 100gr's of Powder for this one.
(BP)
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting from the ground, and the ground is flat, any bullet shot at a deer will go further than one shot at the same deer from a treestand.

I'd guess most misses (shooting on flat ground) will hit the ground within 150 yds beyond the deer. On frozen ground the bullet may bounce along for some distance and this can usually be seen if there is a little snow cover, like an inch or two.

IMO, there's no way a miss on flat ground should go a mile. But, you never know with ricochets. If the bullet is deflected at an upwards angle it could certainly go a considerable distance.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
If you are shooting from the ground, and the ground is flat, any bullet shot at a deer will go further than one shot at the same deer from a treestand.

I'd guess most misses (shooting on flat ground) will hit the ground within 150 yds beyond the deer. On frozen ground the bullet may bounce along for some distance and this can usually be seen if there is a little snow cover, like an inch or two.

IMO, there's no way a miss on flat ground should go a mile. But, you never know with ricochets. If the bullet is deflected at an upwards angle it could certainly go a considerable distance.

x2, i really dont think it would go that far past.........

Last edited by revpilot; 12-17-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

This chart is calculated for your favorite bullet fired, at a guessed at speed from your rifle, of 1900 feet per second, and zeroed at 100 yard. The other day you wrote you had size 14 feets. One might guess that your shoulders are perhaps 6 feet above the ground. So..........the bullet will hit the ground after it has fallen about 6 feet.

The chart say the bullet will have fallen near 83 inches at 350 yard. This predicts your favorite bullet will have hit the ground before it travels 350 yard even if your shoulders are 6 feet above the ground. After that the bullet will probably bounce forward some before it stops.

Note that the bullet has 820 ft lb energy at 175 yard, so that is your self imposed maximum range.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoulders 5-6' from the ground, height of target (deer) perhaps 30 inches or so. The downward angle of the shot will decrease the distance beyond the deer that the missed shot will travel before contacting the ground.

This all changes if the shooter is seated.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

It is really hard to say. Where I target shoot, if I have my paper trap 50 yards out, I can see where the bullets are hitting the snow at about 90 yards. Now that is not totally flat there but not too much off. And where the hit the ground, they still have a LOT if life left in them. They usually plow into or skip into my steel bullet trap and that is the end of them.

Good Chart Ron. I might have to save that for a reference. Good information there.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting up at an angle say 45 degrees or a bouncer can go a very long way, much farther than a lot of people would believe. Bullets hitting at a very long angle do tend to skip a very high percent of the time.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Ron, might another question be... "what is the effective range of 240/250/260 grain bullet shooting whitetail deer" That might tell you more than 'How far' Did not some one shoot a PRB 1500 yards or some such thing. I know a 1000 yards is a walk in the park for big time target shooters - which I aint, but I think Lee might have shot out that far when he was bench shooting.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, thanks for the chart. Could you show how much more the bullet would slow down and drop out to 800 yards or so just for fun and grins.
Art
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Thank's for the Chart Ron, it was very Helpful. I'll check back in tonight, heading back out to try and Fill a Couple of Doe Tags. The Morning Hunt was uneventful, Snowed Like Crazy, could hardly see at times. My Hunting Buddies are 0 for 5 Right now and Im begining to wonder about them, one of them is 0 for 3!
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.