Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
A good bow package for under $400 >

A good bow package for under $400

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

A good bow package for under $400

Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A good bow package for under $400

What is a good package for a person relatively new to archery hunting. This is for myself, I am about 5'11 and about a 28 inch draw or so and I have had 2 shoulder surgeries so I will need some good let off. I am using and older than dirt Stemmler 50# wood compound bow and it just isn't getting the job done. $400 will be my max budget to get everything that I need after the holidays so that I can practice with it for the coming years hunting season. Right now I have the deer coming in, but so far I am just flinging arrows and not hitting anything. I thought that I had the bow hitting out to 30 yards, but something must have gotten thrown out of whack.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Spike

I'm not up to date on prices or anything but I have to Fred bear bows and they have performed excellent and I believe I decently priced. I'm sure u can find one for under $400. Iv got the truth bow. It's an older model but I'm sure can get a new one or even a good used one for a good price.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How did you do it

How did you come up with that "miraculous" price of $400 for a -"new" completely packaged compound bow for paraplegics. Kidding of course.

But you must have done some checking and hit a wall.

Son, I'm cheap. But they hardly have only a few $500 bow packages for well people. I feel sorry for anyone attempting to go cheap on bows today. And when I got back into archery, some twenty years ago, with a former bad shoulder, bows seemed a lot cheaper.

How bad are your shoulders. I rehabbed mine, by using five pound weights and practiced for twenty years, keeping the arms and shoulders built up for the draw. Just so I could keep drawing the bow effectively. A bow is a piece of junk, if your shoulders don't work.

For modern prices, I'd go to a site, Hunter's friend, to see prices on bare bone bows and packaged bows. It gives you a little reality check. $400 !!!!! They'd probably laugh at you at a real pro shop.

Bear, PSE and not real known to me, Martin, have bare bows under around $400. PSE has a bow called a Stinger for some $300-bare vones price. Buying the assessories, yourself, seperately, can get you around the general $400 figure. I've heard some good reports and you can watch some video on the stinger on you tube. I'd take a look at that one.

Of course, I would make sure I had those five pound weights working good, before spending $400 dollars.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

PSE stinger comes in at $399. We're a dealer for PSE, Mathews, Misison, Elite, and Quest and this stinger really is a pretty decent little bow. Shoots a whole lot better than its price would suggest. You'd still need arrows and a release but other than that you would be good to go.

http://pse-archery.com/products/cate...17.16550.0.0.0
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I would buy a mission bow, my brother in law has the ux-2 and he paid $299 for it. I have the mission eliminator bow and I love it, I paid $399 for it. These bows are built by Mathews and I think they use there old technology on them. Great bows for the price. Scott
Old 12-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

If your not opposed to buying a used bow I could make you a good deal on a bow package. I am selling all the archery stuff I have. If you have any questions about any of it or want some more detailed pics. just let me know. Here is a link to my post http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/arch...-sale-out.html
Old 12-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have one of the 09's left with a complete package, and I will ship to your door, set up. With a half dozen arrows cut to your needs. Oops just checked I will have to put a package together, with better accessories! Will still be lower than the $400.00
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

bass pro "chronic" or "kronic"...comes ready to shoot..
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Buy the Diamond Razors Edge. Plenty of speed, great let off, and honestly a nice bow to shoot all around I purchased one for my wife. They are light weight and accurate. Only thing you will need are some arrows and a target it comes with the sights, rest, peep, everything you need but the arrows and the target. Should be around 300-350.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The $400 is just the price that I came up with after seeing a bit of what is out there in the intermediate range. I just wanted to throw the question out there to see what the people thought who are familiar with bow hunting. My right shoulder has been operated on twice and I also have degenerative disc disease on a couple of levels in my neck. I can pull a bow back ok, I can hold it for about 30 seconds and I can shoot a dozen arrows before I feel the inflammation and start getting a headache and the shoulder burn. Sometimes I can tolerate more, sometimes less. I am thinking that a more modern package with better let off than what my old bow has will help and I will be able to shoot more. The newer lighter bow can't hurt either. The biggest draw to bow hunting for me right now though is getting about 10X longer of a season where I live compared to rifle hunting and I get to get either a buck or a doe. I have a nice two man ladder stand now, deer coming and going from my property all the time and it has been really cool to sit with my 8 year old and watch the wildlife. We have a big bull moose making tracks in the snow right now too lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.