Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 White' s Cowboy Packer Boots. >

White' s Cowboy Packer Boots.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

White' s Cowboy Packer Boots.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default White' s Cowboy Packer Boots.

I am in need of some good advise on boots. My old White' s Cowboy Packers (this is the all leather non-insulated boot) are just about wore out. I have had them re-built twice. The last time I got them back White' s told me I would need a new pair next time. I bought them in 1987 or 88 not sure what year?
Well I called White' s & just about fell over when they told me the price, $330.00 for a new pair!
They make a cheaper cowboy packer boot called the Hawthorn? The Hawthorn sells for about $230.00.
My question is this. I want to stick with the cowboy packer style boot. Does anyone make one the common workin man can afford?
I guess if I am just stuck with the White' s that will be fine? If I bought a new pair of Whites & they lasted just as long as the last pair? I would most likely never need to buy another pair of packers?
Should I buy the White' s or settle for the Hawthorns??? Does any other boot maker build a boot like the White' s that I should look at?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: White' s Cowboy Packer Boots.

Wolf Killer are you looking for a Pak boot or work boot.Scheenes boots make some darn good paks.I have a pair knee high lace ups and the narrow toe and extended heel for stirrups.I' ve had the out in 20- below weather.As for a work boot check out hawthorns they are realy good boots.I' ve got apair on right now.Price ain' t always that matters $330.00 divided by 3 yrs is some cheap boots.You can also find them on sale pretty regular for around 280.00 at some stores.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

BBJ Thanks for the reply. I need this boot for work & play in the mountains. I spend most of my time off during the summer & fall riding in the mountains. My most common trip is to load up 2-mules & ride into the mountains to fish or hunt for a few days. I also work part time for a local outfitter packing in & packing out camps & meat.
I have a pair of White' s rubber bottom / leather top insulated cowboy packers for hunting & working in the colder weather.
The boot I am looking for is the all leather non-insulated cowboy packer. I kind of got sticker shock when I heard the price. If I remember correct I paid about $200 for my old pair about 16-years ago?
I think I might just go ahead and buy the Whites because they fit me so well & lasted so long.
If anyone else has any information please post it. I am about two weeks away from buying a new pair of boots.
Thanks,
Old 07-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

They' re defenitley proud of whites packer boots. I' ve had my pair that I still wear for 8 yrs now, and still going strong. I paid 360.00 for them in Boise Idaho. I' ve also owned a couple pairs of Hawthornes, I felt they were a great boot as well. They ran about 215.00 in Boise as well. I' m a masonry contractor and therefore somewhat hard on footwear because of cement and mortars. The packer boot I wear to work now is a " chippeaw" they' re a little less money but are extremely durable and comftorable, and much easier on the pocket book, I would recommend them. They have the mini vibrant non slip soles with leather heels. they don' t last as long as either the Hawthornes or Whites but they' re affordable at 125.00. The ones I wear now are 3 yrs old, so that' s not to bad. Good Luck in your search. elknut1
Old 07-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

My horse throwed a shoe on the way out 4th of July weekend. I walked the las' 10 miles. My feet were hamburger in my Whites. I mosly wear Ariat Hermosas nowadays. Shoulda wore ' em that weekend. Both my heels had blisters, even on the bottom. My toes were hamburger from goin' down the switchbacks. Twisted both ankles steppin' downhill on the rocky trail. High heels got no use off the dancefloor. The Ariats have a proper walkin' sole. They' re lighter, an' they still have a tapered toe fer the stirrups. My Whites will probly las' me a lifetime. Ain' t no reason to run out an' buy a pair. Best to be prepared. I know I won' t go off my property in Whites no more.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:36 PM

Hey BJ, sounds like you shoulda put the White' s on the horse and rode out[:-][:-]
Old 07-19-2003, 04:27 PM

shoulda just put another shoe on the horse and rode out. Those boots ain' t made to hike in
Old 07-19-2003, 06:42 PM

I' ve had white' s packers and they were great boots. I' m currently wearing HH packers that I' ve had for 4-5 years now. I finally had to have them resoled this spring. I personally think they' re better than the white' s. My next pair of packers are gonna be the HHs.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I coulda upacked both my pack animals an' searched the panyards for the shoein' kit, I reckin' , all in a bug infested forest with horseflys the size of yer fist. Or, I could simply walk ten miles an' help myself get back into huntin' shape. Whites are ridin' boots. Ok if you ain' t at any risk of having to walk. Best to be prepared in the mountings. No reason a 10 mile hike outta be painful.