Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Rut Watch

Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default VA Rut Watch

A couple of years ago it was a rut watch in VA thread that got me started on this forum. Its getting that time so I figured we could fire one up again. Let us know what you see involving rut activity, if you are having deer respond to calls, anything and everything you see.

In southeast VA I have saw 1 small buck with 2 does. Not chasing them just following. The does bolted (may have winded me) but he stayed. I hit the grunt tube and he came about 40 yards closer but still 50 yards away. Other than that everyday I go in the woods there are fresh scrapes or scrapes that have been cleaned out again. I think in the next week or two they will have noses to the ground running around everywhere.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

right, I found a fresh rub today and saw one buck on the way out. We saw a buck walk across the road yesterday after dark with his nose on the ground, didn't even look at the car
Old 10-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Usually the rut is in full swing the 2nd week of November in southwest VA. Around Nov 12-16th
Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Spike

well i havent witnesses any chasing or had any deer responde to my calling but a few friends have told me that they have seen smaller bucks chasing an fighting. been seeing more rubs and scrapes every time i go in the woods . well good luck every1
Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen much at all in Southampton. Saw 4 does bowhunting Sat. and no sign of the fellas yet.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen fresh scrapes, all small ones. Have not really seen many rubs this year for some reason. Two weeks ago I saw a three pointer walking behind a doe, but not pressuring her at all. This Sat. I saw a spike checking out two does and two fawns, but he did not seem very interested.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Seen some scrapes and rubs and a bunch of deer so far, but no chasing or anything like that. Even seen some bucks still crusing in bachelor groups, only seen Mature bucks alone so far. I think with the changing weather patterns over the next week things will pick up a lot, Usually Halloween week/weekend up here in NOVA you might find one doe go into heat, best time to be ready, cause you have 10 bucks going after 1 doe, after that those 10 bucks have 200 does to pick from once the full rut kicks in.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

Been out a few times and scounted for awhile after hunting on Monday and I still haven't seen any rubs or scrapes. Did see a nice 10pt on the second day but couldn't get a shot. So, I know there are some nice bucks in the area. Finally got my license for quantico and going to also hunt there starting tomorrow morning. Will do some scouting afterwards to see whats going on. From everything I've read the rut should be in full swing the first week of November. Hope this up and down weather doesn't screw them up too much.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

I went out this morning for a few hours. Wasn't seeing anything so I hit the young buck grunt tube up about 3 short grunts and within 5 seconds I saw him step out from behind a tree 40 yards away. I didn't even know he was there but he was looking for that other deer and wandered right under my stand at 10 yards. He was spike but was the first deer within bow range this year.... so I shot him!
Other than that some scrapes had been freshend up and some new ones appeared too.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

I had a buddy tell me he watched a small buck chase a doe around a little yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.